Need help getting a clean solo to "sing"....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedude, Aug 10, 2005.

1. somedude

somedude Member

What I'm after is rather warm, bluesy solo sound.

For reference, think of an overwound Strat's neck pup into a Boogie MkI with the gain around half and the guitar's volume and tone rolled off slightly. Single notes are on the verge of overdrive, and chords do overdrive.

Now, I can get the exact sound I want, but I can't get it to "sing". I figure it's 'cause I don't have enough compression, but I don't want more gain....I have gain left over, but it kills the sound if I use too much.

I guess what I'm asking is, will a compressor get me what I'm after, or should I look at something else?

You'll have to excuse me if this is a dumb question, but I don't have a whole lot of experience in "clean" soloing.....

Cheers.

Unadan likes this.
  2. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

You may consider a low gain pedal.
    I use the RC booster and it allows me to taylor the sound for my solos to cut through and "sing"

Also just got the Timmy and it is very workable

The Keeley compressor is another option

Good luck

3. exodus

exodus Member

I run a Klon as the last OD pedal in my chain, and use it for volume with a very small bit of gain. IMO, the klon will make anything before it sing in a BIG fat way. There are lots of great pedals that do some great stuff, but honestly (not because I own one:p ) the klon has blown me away for years as making other pedals really sing with sustain and fatness.

I run a fuzz into my klon. I just use the fuzz for must stuff unless I want a singing lead tone. Then I click on the klon. It has massive headroom that accepts almost any pedal out there and S I N G S:dude

4. MattB

MattB Member

Barber LTD is what I use. Works amazing.

-MattB

5. fatback

fatback Member

If you already like your tone, then you don't need more gain. I'd go with a compressor for your needs. The Homebrew CPR compressor and the Janglebox both sound great, though they each have their own character and feel. If you can, try a few different comps with your rig in order to find the one that keeps your tone while giving you the right feel.

6. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

You also might look into a warm boost, like a Klon or BJF Sea Blue EQ. I use the latter and think the world of it.

Unadan likes this.
  7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Klon +1 :dude

Unadan likes this.
  8. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

It sounds like you don't need a thing that isn't already in your hands. Develop your vibrato and use the "bowing" effect of the string sliding across the fret to generate just enough additional signal to keep the note singing.

I apologize if that seems too obvious. I am unfamiliar with you playing style.

9. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I can think of 2 options:

1. Barber Tone Press - blend in just enough of the compressed signal for additional sustain.

2. Hermida Zendrive - with the gain set at about 10:00 you won't get much additional gain, if any, but it will add that "sing" that you're looking for.

10. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

+ 1 Klon, and Homebrew Comp-Retro, it is a deadly combanation.. I found this out last night running first the CPR, than the Klon, than my favorite Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive.. And this triple threat is so deadly you won't need anything else...

11. javahut

javahut Member

Forget all the drives and boosts... you already know about and have those. That's not what your looking for. Add a compressor to your arsenal, and I'll bet that gets you what your looking for. I personally like Keeley's compressor, but there are many good ones. If you've never used one before, your gonna be surprised what it'll do for your tone!

Unadan likes this.
  12. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

HBE Retro Comp or a COT50 . . .Timmy also. The HBE is the best compressor I've ever owned and does exactly what you say you are looking for.

13. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I'd go with the Klon also. I use mine with the gain very low and the volume up around 2-3 o'clock. You'll need to get the power tubes cooking a bit also. The clean sustain and controllable feedback I get out of my Route 66 with the Klon is inspirational.

Unadan likes this.
  14. somedude

somedude Member

What I've been working on is hammering the note, violining the volume, and using vibrato to sustain it....but it still seems to not sing like I'd like it too.

It probably is weak technique....I think I'll pick up a compressor to "cheat" for now and leave it off when practicing to build my technique. I've wanted a compressor for awhile anywya, this'll give me the excuse to get one.

Unadan likes this.
  15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

A compressor is the simplest way to increase sustain without adding gain. The Barber Tone Press is probably the best bang for your buck especially for its versatility (comp and/or boost and the blend feature).

16. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

If you're looking for clean sustain, I'd go with the Barber Tone Press. Being able to blend in the uncompressed signal does wonders for making the compression seem much more transparent.

If you want some low level crunch, I'd go with the LTD. It can get enough crunch for blues, and it has a bit of compression to help your sustain.

I think the two of them together would be the best way to go as they compliment each other nicely, and are pretty good pricewise.

Brett

Unadan likes this.
  17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Bad Monkey will fatten your sound and increase sustaing without adding much distortion. Use that to give your amp a little kick in the butt, then roll the amp's treble off a little to keep it cleaner sounding and smooth.

Unadan likes this.
  18. beachwail

beachwail Member

If you have the option, higher volume will work wonders for this.
    The sound waves vibrate your guitar more, and slight "feedback" occurs which allows your notes to bloom and sustain more. Even very little gain feel so much more responsive and beautiful.

Try cranking it up.

No pedal can simulate this. Period.

Unadan likes this.