Need help giving a MIM strat a MIA facelift

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by aps, Jun 23, 2008.

1. aps

aps Member

Hey guys,

I know there is a thread going around about putting a MIA neck on a CIJ body and that made me wonder if I can put I 2-point type of tremolo in a MIM powerhouse strat.

If so, what brand?

And if not, what are some nice saddles that can be replaced with the MIM ones.

thanks in advance,
    aps

2. aps

aps Member

no ones can spare their 2 cents?

bump

3. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

I put a wilkinson trem on this guitar. The outer holes lines up perfectly from the existing vintage trem, and i filled the others. I got it from Warmoth, and they have measurements of the trem on their site...

[​IMG]

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I specifically remember someone (Callaham's website) mentioning that MIA stuff (in particular bridges/bridge blocks do NOT work with MIM stuff and they (Callaham) actually have different versions for each build. I could be wrong though...:bow
    I do believe a lot of MIJ/CIJ stuff matches up well/perfectly with MIA stuff. For example the Joe Barden "Vintage" bridge replacement is a drop in for "Vintage" Fender's, but it works perfectly as a drop in replacement on my CIJ's. YMMV so don't go out and buy anything on my word alone... although I did answer you when no one else did ;)

5. aps

aps Member

that strat is groovy! :hiP i love it!

and thanks for the advice guys, i'll look into it

aps

6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

If your MIM has the 6 screw type trem system, it's difficult to convert to the 2 post type without substantial work. There's nothing wrong with a properly set up 6 screw trem, so you might just want to focus your efforts on a good setup.

If you're determined to change the bridge, Callaham is probably the finest replacement on the market. www.callahamguitars.com. The Gotoh 510TS-SF2 is also a fine replacement.

If your MIM already has a 2-point trem, just replace the trem block & saddles with Callaham.

7. fishlog

fishlog Member

+1 on the Callaham, worth the buck. But MIM are different to MIA so be careful. Some one suggested getting a good set-up +1 to that as well. A good set up by someone who knows what they are doing can do wonders!

Heck I can do good set ups but every once and a while I take mine to another guy at my old college town it just ads a counter point to my bad set up habits and always feels "new"