Need help making a decision?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by brentrocks, Jan 22, 2008.

1. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

I am a big EVH fan and a big fan of his wide variety of guitars over the years.:)

I currently have a EBMM EVH that is a really great guitar. On a whim, i recently bought a wofgang special, because it was a good deal....and i am really surprised that the wolfgang actually sounds as good and plays as well as the EBMM that i paid over 4X more for!!!:eek:

I'm thinking about selling the EBMM....but it is a really sweet, collectable guitar with a killer top and a awesome flamed neck. I think it would be tough to find another if i realized later i had made a mistake by selling it? :crazy

Maybe i should just keep both?:jo

Anybody ever have this problem?

2. tremonti

tremonti Member

I know what you mean....but I'm of the thought that if you dont play it...sell it. My wife surprised me with another guitar for Christmas and I sent it back...even though it was nice. I have a home-made EVH EB guitar, a Tremonti PRS, a home-made strat and a Taylor acoustic. Cant play more than that and I have just about every sound covered. But I know it's tough...as far as re-sale in the future...invest in stocks...not guitars! That's my 2 cents....

3. Londoncalling

Londoncalling Member

My opinion, (which is free and worth every penny of that) is hang on to it, at least for now. Used gear prices seem soft right now. If the EBMM is collectable then you wont lose anything by holding on to it.

The best reason to keep it is now you can join in the Wolfgang vs EBMM threads :rolleyes:

4. rick31797

rick31797 Member

Its a simple decision.. If you don't need to sell it." keep it. Most people sell to free up money to buy something else.
    There is nothing wrong with have a guitar that may be collectable.
    MY brother once had a chance to buy a 1962 Jag.. Around 1966 for 100.00.. he passed it up..
    They are worth around 6,000.00 now.. Bad move on his part.
    I have only sold one guitar,and it wasn't anything collectable.( EPI dot) Dont regret it a bit becuase i replaced it with a better guitar.

It sounds like your guitar, is and probably would be a collectable piece.Nobody ever gets sick of looking at a flame neck and nice top.
    I vote to say keep it.
    Would like to see a picture

Rick

5. brentrocks

Thanks for the input guys....i dont NEED to sell it right now, i guess i should just keep it.

Rick, here is a couple pics of the EB EVH....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Looks like a really cool guitar. I don't like the "5150", but it's still pretty cool.

I'd hang onto it. There're enough people claiming that the EB version is a lot better, even if your Wolfgang is. The EB will probably maintain more collector value, so if you don't need the money, hang onto it.

7. rick31797

rick31797 Member

WOW what a beauty that is. Quilted Top, really love it..
    I wouldn't even think about selling.. If u really need to sell something " Someday" ( Maybe girlfriend /Wife) LOL just kidding.. pick something else to sell.
    This guitar will be a collector item as time goes by , you will having people lining up to buy it.

I wish i had one but can't have them all.. :(

Rick

8. Grenville

Grenville Member

Of course the irony is that EVH went from EB to Peavey to make his guitars more accessible to the average guitarist, then he goes to Fender...

9. rick31797

rick31797 Member

I guess he goes to where the money takes him>>> His son will be doing the same thing. already on tour with Them.

Rick

10. brentrocks

yeah man...i bet Fender threw a TON of $$$ to Eddie to do this Frankie thing and the new amps.

thanks for the compliments on my EVH.

11. rick31797

rick31797 Member

It makes me wonder if any Artist would have the Balls to say.. NO I am not putting my name on your guitars, as its not good enough.

I guess they would probably modifiy the heck out of it tell they did like it.

Hey brentrocks your guitar compliments itself.. A really nice piece.. I really like the quilted tops.

Rick

12. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I think you need to offer something for less than a grand to be accessible to the average guitar player.

I think he's seeing more money selling to collectors right now. That's probably the deal Fender put on the plate.

The current Kramer company builds a Floyd Rose equipt single humbucker Strat like guitar for under a grand. Built in the USA. Sure, it's not the same Kramer as before, but to the average guitar player, it's accessible. http://www.musicyo.com/brandpos.asp?dept_id=1&Series=US Collection

13. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

Actually your brother made the right decision financially, sort of. If he would have invested the $100 in an average stock, after 40 years at the average 12% it would be worth $11,865, so he actually would have lost almost $6,000 by investing in the guitar. My point is, most guitars are terrible investments--buy them because you love them and want to play them, not because you think they're good investments. Very few instruments match a sound investment. I have plenty of money tied up in 4 guitars, but I love each of them and play the heck out of them, but like was mentioned above, if you're not going to play it, put that money where it will work for you. I have all my 'sounds' covered, so if I want a new guitar, I'll trade something I already have.

As for the EBMM, if you're not playing it, go ahead and sell it. Those funds will do you better elsewhere. If you're keeping it because YOU love the guitar, keep it. What fun is investing if you can't splurge and buy the stuff you love like a new guitar every once in awhile. All I'm saying is don't have the misguided truth that guitars are good investments be the only thing that's making you keep the guitar.

Sorry for the preachy post.....

14. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

Actually, I don't think the Frankie thing is what was referred to in the previous posts. Eddie has always had his basic style and design of guitar/sound even though he had it produced by EB and Peavey. His current deal with Fender now is that it is going to be an EVH brand guitar produced by Fender, but nowhere on it will be a Fender logo. Eddie is going to produce the Wolfgang guitar under the EVH brandname so there should be no more changes like Peavey, EB, etc. If he decides he wants a new manufacturer (instead of Fender), that will be fine but the guitars will still be the same EVH brand guitar, Wolfgang model. He is currently playing the EVH brand logo guitar on tour now, and there was one at the NAMM show with a sign from Eddie saying "coming soon"... The word on the street is that these will be accessible to many more players at a much better price. He's been playing them on tour, and I gotta say, his tone on the current tour is awesome old style VH I&II type sounds. It's as good a tone as I've heard from Eddie so I'm guessing the guitars will really sell. He also has an entire line of his own branded straps, cables, picks, etc. coming out soon. SO, long story short, we are starting a new era of EVH brand guitars that should remain the same no matter who is producing them for him.

15. brentrocks

thanks for the info...sound like a nice change

16. Adwex

Adwex Member

I'm tellin' Big Poppa.:roll

17. brentrocks

i decided to put it up for sale, try something new

18. rick31797

rick31797 Member

You left out one important aspect of investing the 100.00 VS buying a guitar. When you finally decide to sell the guitar at retirement u dont have to claim the cash you get for it as Income, unlike an investment.

The money that you have in mutual funds, money market , RSP, GIC's , Saving Bonds is all Taxable when you decide to take it out.
    So when you retire you have all this money tied up and can only take out small amounts at a time, and hope at tax time, you balance out depending on the deductions you have.
    Anyways, i will be in that position someday,becuase we cannot depend on what the Government provides.

I agree , you would probably end up with more money " Depending the guitar you choose doesn't do so well. But how boring..to watch a 100.00 RSP grow over 40 years
    I am not saying put all your money into guitars, ( I would not do that)
    Guitars are much more fun, and its one of the few material things you can buy, that will hold there value or go up in value depending on what you buy.

I have bought two hard to find, somewhat rare guitars, this year, first becuase i wanted them,and have been searching for awhile, and also to injoy, and lastly,I know the money i spent, i will get back ( Plus) Unlike the many electronics components i have bought over the years.

Rick