Need help on amp selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Julia343, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Currently I've got a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212. I'm starting to fact reality. The amp isn't cutting it for me. I'm seeing the insanity of sticking 50 bazillion pedals in front of it in an attempt to get it to sound like a Marshall. I've found out with pianos that if you want it to sound like a Steinway, you buy a Steinway. Guitars? You want it to sound like a Gibson SG you buy a Gibson SG. Period. End of story. There are no real substitutes.

So I want the Fender to sound like a Marshall. Stupid. Not going to happen. Local shop has my interest peaked in the Vintage Modern 2266C. I've got some questions:

* can I hit an Angus tone (I've already got the Gibson SG)?
    * can I hit a Slash tone (I've got the Gibson LP)?
    * will this thing do 80s hard rock? 90s grunge? and with some high gain help hit stuff like In Flames?
    I've also got a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser for actives.

These tones have one thing in common -- Marshall.

Other suggestions in the Marshall line?

2. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

It sounds to me like you may be after the hotter marshall sounds based on your questions. Maybe a Caswell,or Cammeron mod or a soldano may be in order for your sound. I personally didnt like the modern vintage but I am sure some love it.Best of luck to you.

3. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

The Vintage Modern didn't do it for me and neither did DSLs (but I think DSLs are a better choice if you get the 100W head -- the 50W head and the combos don't have the same sound).

Best amp for the tones you seek are the Marshall JMP Master Volume head (made between '78-'82) or the JCM 800 heads (which were the evolution of the JMP Master Volumes). I prefer 100W models - tighter bottom-end, more thump. These amps are THE sound of rock-- these are the real deal. These amps are the benchmark by which all other rock amps have been judged. You can also find these in combos -- and they sound good too.

That said, these Marshalls won't give you over the top gain (at least not below ear splitting levels) and they're not feature-rich amps. You can supplement with good quality pedals for extra gain / boost / reverb / delays / etc.... If want something with more beef, I'd recommend a Splawn amp or a modded Marshall (a good mod like a Voodoo, Splawn, or Bray). These amps/mods generally don't compromise the Marshall tone.

4. MLG8675

MLG8675 Member

:agree

You might also consider a 1987x (the later ones have FX loops too). Plentiful on the used market as well. I love my with my SG and can cover a lot of ground with a hot plate and a pedal or two.

5. ronmail65

By the way, I've been on a tone quest and swapped out 15 or amps within the last 3 years. I've been through Mesa Dual Rectos, Mesa Stiletto, Mesa Nomad, Marshall DSLs (100W, 50W, and combo), Marshall 3203s, Splawn modded 1987X, Supersonic, Blues Deluxe, JMP Master Volume (50W and 100W), JSX, Line6, and a couple of others I'm probably forgetting.

Through that process I learned 2 things: 1) that I was a Marshall guy -- the JMP and 800 sounds, and 2) that these particular Marshall amps were too restrictive for my gigging applications.

So I ended up with 2 Splawn heads (a ProMod and a QuickRod) that deliver the same tonal character but with gain to spare, active tone controls. and a solo boost. I'm done.

6. hamfist

hamfist Member

I agree with other's assessment that the best amp for your needs would probably be a JMP or JCM800.
    If you want good quality, but on a budget, you cannot beat Ceriatone.Their Hand-wired JCM800 2204 50W head would suit your needs perfectly. They will sell you anything from a kit to a fully built and constructed head. Check them out.
    BTW, another "yuck" vote on the Vintage Modern from me, I'm afraid.

7. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Check out the Splawn Quickrod. It can nail the tones you are describing. Overall, it really is a great amp.

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

Most affordable solution +1 on Ceriatone

My personal favorites, the Reeves Custom 50 especially for those Angus
    tones.
    Also the Reinhardt 50
    Most of that Angus tone is EL34's wide open in the clean channel.

The Reeves Custom 30 or Reinhardt 33 would also be an excellent choice.

And stay tuned for the Suhr Badger 30 coming son.

9. doc

doc Member

I'd check into a vintage Traynor YBA-1. Plexi like tone on a budget. Really loud 50 watts, though, so if you don't play loud you'll need an attenuator. If you're interested in a YBA-4 (thats a YBA-1 as a combo with one 15 inch speaker in a closed cab) PM me - I have one I'll sell at a good price. Only downsides are: built like a tank and weighs a ton, and non master volume, few "features" except tone.

As per previous posts Ceriatone or a JCM 800 are great choices.

10. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

The Ceriatone 800 will get you just where you want to be. A pedal will push you over the cliff if that need arises down the road. They are well made, sound great and will still be making music even after you stop.
    You have my 2 cents, now I'm broke.

11. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

You can talk to Winfield Thomas, as he can build custom high gain Marshall stuff for an extremely reasonable price.

12. ronmail65

I'm not familiar with Ceriatone gear.... so you guys think these clonees truly rival the real JCM 800s? Do they pack more gain or about the same?

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

My main amp is the Splawn Quickrod, and I love it and that's what I kept, but I had a 2466 for awhile. That was a really nice amp.

If you're talking new prices, I'd go with the Splawn but I got the VintageModern used for something silly like $750. If you can get a deal like that, go for it. I know of a guy in a local band who uses his 2466 with a Les Paul to do all the stuff you mention.

14. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

Fargen Olde 800. From Angus to Slash to Smashing Pumpkins. And beautiful cleans. Get one in white, their sexy!

15. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Okay, but I'm leary of support on custom stuff. Does the stuff come with "as built" schematics? that's a biggie for me. The Ceriatone reviews look great. Nearest tech support center is 1000 miles away. I did send them an e-mail. What's to lose?

That's a real good question about the clones. Do they really rival the JCM 800s? and I need an FX loop which the Ceriatones don't seem to have.

16. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I have a Marshall DSL401 really love the tone from that amp, and its three channel, cheapest Marshall tube amp out there.

17. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

Nik can put in an FX loop for you. Great guy. Because they're hand-built, you basically can't break them, and they hold their value pretty well.
    Splawn Quickrod will give you the real deal, EVERYTHING, exactly how you want it, but at a price that might be too much for you (but is very justified IMO). The JCM 800 is basically a one-trick pony that's tweakable with pedals. Heck, that might just be the right thing for you. Depends on your financial situation I guess. Splawn = amazing. Ceriatone = awesome, at a better price.

18. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Eleanor, yeah, I noticed that about Splawn -- it's gone a little beyond my price range. So i gave Nik the specs. FX loop. 8/16 ohm speaker switch. Dual speaker outlets. I am going to want Nik to supply an as built schematic, though, just because I don't want to pay some amp tech here to go poking and prodding through it.

Also did find a used TSL 122 100 watt combo locally.

Still if Nik's work is as good as everyone says, and it does give a real Marshall tone, I'd go there and get a set of 212 Avatar Contemporary closed back speaker cabs with the appropriate Celestion... I dunno... Greenbacks? Vintage 30s? for about $800. Then add on the amp head.

Simply because it is easier for me to carry the 35 lb amp head and one or two 212 cabinets (60# ea) to my gig or practice than it is to carry a 90 lb combo amp.

And Austinrocks ... have you had any heat issues with the DSL 401?

Fenders are nice but sometimes you just want to grind.