Need Help on date for my Burny SG (New Tuning Keys?)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JDubb, Aug 22, 2008.

1. JDubb

JDubb Member

Can anyone tell me when this guitar was made? There is no serial number. It has a long tenon neck and sounds amazing. What kind of pickups are in this guitar. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. JDubb

JDubb Member

I also need to replace the tuners on my burny sg standard mij. A couple of the keys are slipping. What tuners would be an exact fit without drilling any new holes?

Thanks

3. Peeb

Peeb Member

If you'll mail it to me, I'll figure it out for you over the next 25 years or so! :D

SWEET guitar.

4. JDubb

JDubb Member

Sounds like a fair deal. It is a great guitar.

Thanks

5. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Boy, that looks exactly like one I played in a store last week. You wouldn't happen to be in PA would you?

If that's the one, it was a real player. Sounded and played great.

6. JPF

JPF Member

That's a great-looking guitar.

I recently bought some replacement Kluson tuners from RS Guitarworks for a mid-'80s Greco LP from Japan. The original tuner shafts are metric, so there's no alternative for me to fit the new U.S.-made ones - the holes are going to have to be drilled out. Burny's may not be fitted with metric-sized hardware as are the Grecos, but I suspect they are. Frankly, I hadn't even given it a thought when I ordered the parts from RS. For all I know, Kluson make or carry metric-sized equivalents. Live and learn. The tuners are the only weak link on what is otherwise an absolutely brilliant guitar. Enjoy your Burny SG!

7. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

8. JDubb

JDubb Member

Mr. Crow,

I bought this guitar on ebay from a dealer in PA. It has to be the one that you played. I am blown away by how well this guitar sounds and feels. I've been looking at burny LP's for a while now and this one just was too good to pass up. I wasn't planning on getting an sg but I'm glad I did. I was concerned about buying the guitar without playing it first but I am so glad that I made the purchase. It has to be one of the best guitars that I have ever played. In my 30 years of playing this one will go down as one of my top 5 all time favorites. It's a sweet player and these pickups are amazing. The frets are in great shape; the neck is perfect; and it sustains for days. It is pure rock n roll.

9. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

i just love GOOD japanese replicas

10. phatster

phatster Member

I got the identicalBlack SG.I bought mine on e-bay as well.The pick-ups ARE sweet .You are right,the tuners are the weak link.I'm curious what replacements you use as well!!Kluson has apparently been bought by Tonepro and the new tuners which have updated tech may be a good match.I'm getting a set for a 61 melody maker.Worth looking into.Mine was billed as a '81 but I find no numbers anywhere.I'll check the pots next and report.

11. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Go to the Tokai registry web site. There are links for other MIJ builders. I bought a Greco SG from a guy who swore up and down it was 80's MIJ. Only after I did some research, starting at the Tokai registry, did I find out it was a later MIK model.

12. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Pull the pickups out of the guitar. Hookup wire color and the color of the baseplates can help date the guitar. Also look in the control cavity. I believe mid 80s Burnys used green ceramic caps, grey hookup wire for the pickups and brass colored bass plates. Truss rod cover is indictave of early to mid 80s as well. Of course, that would be the easiest thing to change. As far as tuners, I believe Gotoh Keystone tuners should be a direct replacement. Looks identical to the Burny SG I own.

13. phatster

phatster Member

Supergenius.....I took your advice and found very little info.Apparently the truss rod cover does provide some rough help.If a model # can be found that is helpful as well.The Korean made instruments have a three screw truss cover.Burny and Fernandes are the same company...Burnmy made Gibson clones and Fernandes made the Fender.I have several Burny LP's and their necks are nice and fat,those VH-1 pick-ups are sweet as well.

14. phatster

phatster Member

Abbe...my caps are a dakota red color...everything else is as you describe!

15. supergenius365

Sorry. I found a great page at the time (about a year and a half ago) which broke things down really well. Sadly, I removed the link from my bookmarks, so I can't share it. If you have time to do more searching, there was a page with a bunch of pictures showing differences which helped to pinpoint the make ofthe guitar.

16. supergenius365

17. JDubb

JDubb Member

Gotoh Keystone tuners are a direct fit. Thanks. The tuning is solid now.

JW

18. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

:RoCkIn Have you found any info in regards to the guitar's manufacture date? I'm wondering if the page that supergenius was referring to was this page about Burny Les Pauls.
    http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/burny%20info.html
    I have to assume that some of the info concerning caps, electronics and pickups would transfer over to Burny SGs. Brass baseplates, green ceramic caps, Gibson style trussrod covers and grey hookup wire were used in early to mid 80s Burny Super Grades, so I assumed the same would apply to the SG range.