Need help on my lead tone!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lifeson1, Feb 12, 2012.

1. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I really like my live setup, but as a gigging musician I'm really noticing that my leads aren't 'soaring' as much as I would like. I'm finding my notes are really dying without a lot of sustain, and they aren't as driving in the mix as I need them to be - especially with another guitar player in the band.

Here's my setup:

Amp> JTM 45 Clone into a 1x12 1x10 Cab
    Guitars> Music Man Axis or Modded Fender Strat
    Pedalboard: Tuner>EP Booster> Loopmaster controller> Boss Noise Supressor> Boss EQ>Amp

Loop 1 for my main dirt is a BB+
    Loop 2 for added gain is a Timmy
    Loop 3 is my Boss Delay (or Time Factor)

I used to have a Keeley two know compressor on the board but it's currently off. I also have had a Wampler Pinnacle on the board that is off, a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, which my brother said to try for leads, and other time effects that are off the board.

I was looking at a Zenkudo overdrive to maybe help with this issue coupled with the BB+, but I don't know if that will solve my issue. For my leads, I usually have both dirt loops engaged along with the Boss EQ, and periodic delays. The EP is on at all times. . . At low volumes, the amp is fine, it gives me the amount of headroom I need, but at club volumes I'm losing something. Any help would be appreciated!

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I would start with cutting out any pedals you don't really need and try to dime the amp/ have the amp pushed by some pedal. You'd want your gain raised rather early on so that what ever comes after can compress and/ or distort that signal.

Probably you're using up your headroom by turning the gain up higher. Nature of the beast and only higher output or higher SPL/ number of speakers will help you there, I'm affraid.