Need Help on nailing "that" tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dnumde, Aug 11, 2005.

1. dnumde

dnumde Member

Well, been lurking around this forum reading up posts day in day out and finally joined.

I actually need help from all of you out there who's "been there done that"/ tried lots of stompboxes from the various boutique pedal makers.

Living in Singapore, I don't actually get much coverage on stuffs like Fulltone, Barber, MI Audio and such. Not many ppl uses them around here and my only references are online samples that ppl recorded or reading reviews from sites.

Ok, currently what im using is this:

Ibanez RG1550->Keeley comp->Sansamp GT2->DS-1 SEM->amp(varies, depends on the different gig organisers)

I'm actually trying to nail that elusive tone, somewhere along the lines of Dream Theater, Skid Row.....hard rock with doses of metal at times. While using the GT2 i found that it's really great for my rhythm chugging and stuffs, but not enough presence and harmonics. Im the lead player in my band...so definitely need some cut through the mix at times for my lead parts.

Hope you guys can advise me here, even recommend me another staple dist unit.....a whole new rig....i'll appreciate any help. Thanks again in advance.

2. dnumde

dnumde Member

3. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

Hey Testament....
    I have a friend over there named Joshua Foo. Do you know him? Anyway, are you looking for an amp, a box, or any combination of the two?

Randy

4. dnumde

dnumde Member

Joshua....nope :)

i'm looking for for stompboxes.....unable to invest in an amp yet

5. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

Lovepedal Black Magic distortion

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'd recommend a tonebone hot british distortion pedal. It's got just what you're looking for

7. somedude

somedude Member

Are you using the British or California setting?

8. dnumde

dnumde Member

rhmc: alright ill go google up on it

Moe: Thanks for the input, just went to check it out. so i should run this by itself..or any booster to go with it?

screamingdaisy: california setting, hot-wired and on clean setting.

Maybe i should provide a few references, quite inclined towards the rhythm and lead tone featured in DT's The Test That Stumped That All...which is in 6 degrees of inner turbulence. I like that chunky tight rhythm and also clarity, lead parts filled with "meat" and not brittly and tinny which im encountering with my gt-2 now. I'm more of a middy guy with my eq's.

If it's really near impossible to achieve it, then i might consider a Peavey 6050 combo. what's your take on this guys? Really appreciate the help i'm getting here :dude

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The hot british has a few settings on it that are awesome.

[​IMG]

I always recommend the fat voicing over the "out" one. the notch one is good for a more metallish/thrash type of sound.

the mid-boost settings do add some sweetness (think brian may), but I generally leave 'em off (not my type of thing). However, they do sound great and you might wanna leave 'em on (negating a boost pedal). Needless to say, you can't turn 'em on and off with your foot, which is a bummer.

The top end thing is for whoever needs it, I leave mine on flat.

the contour knob allows you to shape the voicing settings even more! when voicing is on "out', the contour knob does nothing. The rest of the knobs always work, no matter what the settings.

In short, awesome pedal, not extremely versatile, but it is the best at what it does (to my ears). Try one out!

*edit* If you want to boost your tone for leads, buy a boost pedal. If you were just questioning about a boost pedal to fatten up your sound, you don't need one! This thing is fatter then your Uncle Albert after Thanksgiving! It'll knock your socks off!

10. somedude

somedude Member

Well, considering that the GT-2 is what I normally recommend to people who're looking for Rectifier tone in a stompbox, I really have nothing else to recommend...

...unless you can afford a Rectifier that is. :)

Barring that (I've heard that Rectos are bloody expensive in that part of the world), the 6505/5150 and the XXX are both good amps for that general sound.

11. dnumde

dnumde Member

Moe: Thanks alot dude~! pretty informative there, yeah i was asking bout boosting up for a lead tone....so a clean booster like the Xotic RC should get the job done i suppose? I just saw a Trimode Tube Dist. on tonebone's page...any experience with it? cos it pretty much fits my description with a rhythm and lead channel...but no sound samples yet

screaming: Yeah, there's no authorised dealer here for boogies.....well there's a shop but its insanely priced and not much stocks around. This place sucks at guitar stuffs....all we get are the usual market stuffs....

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Never tried a classic nor a classic tri-mode.

According to tonebones webpage, the hot british is modeled after british sounding amps (like marshalls) and the classic/trimode are modeled after american amps (like fenders). Hopefully they'll make a tri-mode version based on the hot british pedal!

What I'd say is, use the GT-2 for your rhythm sounds that you're happy with, and switch to the hot british for lead tones. it'll involve a bit of tap-dancing though

13. dnumde

dnumde Member

Alright thanks guys......guess from these few posts...i shall keep my GT-2 for my rhythm sounds.....maybe get an AC Booster for that boosted lead tone. Meanwhile i shall save up......most likely getting a tube combo like 6050 so that i can have a consistent tone for gigs. Seeing Andy Timmons last year also made me GAS for some Laney heads.....that guy was f-ing incredible

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Testament,
    I'll agree with Moe, for heavier rock tones the HB is real hard to beat. For a more neutral tone and a little more versatile I think the Tonebone Classic is the best. You could try out the TriMode too (even more versatile). But the tonebone stuff is made to last and sounds great! I stopped looking for "the" distortion pedal when I got my TB Classic.

15. dnumde

dnumde Member

alright thanks guys...ill go hunt down any users of HB and see how it goes. meanwhile after giving some thought.....maybe i should save up for a year and shop for a decent 2x12 combo to bring for gigs and mic up.......currently having a Peavey 6505 or XXX as something to look forward to:rolleyes:

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone used the Vtwin pedal in this situation? It should work well, especially set to blues/high gain for rhythm/leads.