Need Help! Pedals>Tech21 Liverpool>Headphones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tremellow814, Feb 22, 2012.

1. tremellow814

tremellow814 Member

My original thoughts were to run some pedals into a Liverpool then into my headphones for @ home practicing. This setup sounds great going direct live, but going straight into my Sennheisers, its VERY quiet and lifeless (also mono).

Would adding this before my headphones solve the volume problems?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Micromon-MA400-Headphone-Amplifier-103843272-i1125386.gc

I guess I'm confused if just simply plugging into a mixer would give me a boost in volume enough to hear without affecting the guitar tone

2. tremellow814

tremellow814 Member

Thanks. So I guess I'll have to give in & a get a small mixer. :/

Would a 1/8" Mono to 1/4" Stereo Plug adapter work to get the sound in both ears?

3. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

You can pick up a simple behringer mixer on the cheap. You can control the overall input from the mixer (I set the EQ flat and use my tech 21 pedals to color the sound). It works great

4. tremellow814

tremellow814 Member

Cool. I was thinking about getting a boost pedal or something like a mxr micro amp to just put at the end of the chain but i wasnt sure if that would suffice.

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I posted the same thing about an Ethos headphones question. I use the Blonde, and it sounds awful through headphones, BUT when I ran it through a Zoom G3 it sounded great and you get a looper, effects and some backup amp tones. I still prefer the sound of the Tech 21 to the zoom for amp emulation, but the G3 is a pretty good bargain if you don't need a mixer.

6. b3john

b3john Member

If you get a half-decent small mixer, you'll be able to pan the guitar to the center and you'll hear it (as a mono signal) in both ears. I do something similar, it gives me the flexibility to play my guitar and keyboards with other stereo sources like music from my iPod/iPad or even backing tracks in Garageband or Logic from my computer. It doesn't have to cost a lot.

Depends on how the adapter is wired internally.

ETA: If I'm understanding your setup correctly, you are wanting to be able to connect the 1/4" out from your Liverpool to a stereo 3.5mm (~1/8") plug from your headphones? If so, look at one of these:

http://www.hosatech.com/product/325356/GPM-179/_/Adaptor%2C_3.5_mm_TRS_to_14_in_TS

The only issue is that (what I'm assuming is a -10db output signal from your pedal) may not be enough to drive the headphone volume. Depending partly on the impedance of your particular headphones, you may still need a headphone amp.

HTH

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. tremellow814

tremellow814 Member

The G3 seems great but i would definately need a tap tempo.
    already have an HD500 2 M5's which i'm trying to get rid of.

8. christhurman

christhurman Member

What if you have a boss dd20 after the liverpool, and use the headphone out? Seems like this should work...

9. schtaf

schtaf Supporting Member

Ehx headphone amp, cheap and works great

10. stockment

stockment Member

I run a stereo liverpool and blonde mix into a 2 channel mackie mixer and pan them hard left & right. It works great with my in ears.