Need help picking a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ChiSoxBoy, Mar 10, 2015.

1. ChiSoxBoy

ChiSoxBoy Member

I've been playing through a VOX Pathfinder 15R for the longest time and I finally made the jump to a big boy tube amp. I bought a Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25. I record at home but I also gig out. The options I'm looking at are..

1) Mesa 1x12 slant or straight. Depending on which one I get I could pick up the other one down the road for a neat mini stack. Nice focused sound, great for home recording, could probably gig out with it but it would look pretty wimpy compared to my other guitarist's Marshall 4x12.
    2) Mesa 2x12 horizontal. Would fit well in my room, could be stood up vertically for a live gig. The thing I don't like about it is the rubber handle on the top.
    3) Mesa 2x12 vertical. Ten pounds heavier than the horizontal version but with the same speakers, and with built-in plastic handles on the sides. Much more reliable than one rubber handle. dat 70 lbs tho
    4) Marshall 2x12 horizontal or vertical. The most affordable of the bunch coming in at one hundred less than the Mesa 1x12 and half the price of the 2x12s. Celestion seventy 80 speakers instead of the V30s in the Mesas.

I would honestly be content with any of the options, though I would prefer the V30s over the 70/80s. Under $1,000 (more $400-$700) would be ideal. Any other options I'm overlooking?

2. Slevin

Slevin Member

http://ampfactory.com/

build your own, pick your color, pick your speakers. Less than 500 shipped.

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

There's a recent thread about horizontal vs vertical and dispersion that might apply here.

4. theviper

theviper Member

Love my closed back Avatar Contemporary 2x12. Best $400 or so I ever spent. Beefy as hell, loaded with the Hellatone 60's (vintage 30's broken in) all black and although it's horizontal, only steel handles on the sided and no rubber / leather handle on top. Turn it on its side for vertical, with only the logo being off place that matters, but who cares? Solid as a brick shithouse.