Need help picking a delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lesterman123, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Lesterman123

Lesterman123 Member

Hi Guys Ive been looking at buying a delay for some time now and cant decide what to get. I kind of decided on getting the line 6 echopark but in the end didnt becuase i heard about the horrible hum and noise you get from it. Can anyone reccomend anyting that i might be interested in? I dont really want to spend much more than 200 or 250 on it. tap tempo woudl be a nice feature to have.

2. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

There are plenty of good options out there. First question: what do you need in a delay? Digital? Analog? Tape simulation? Special FX? Presets? Maybe you just want to use a general setting as part of your tone and don't need 20 options in one pedal.

I have the Echo Park and I have been enjoying it. I got the Line6 power supply and its behaving. The big Boss DD-20 is getting rave reviews--check that out. You may not need all these extra features and if not, you can get a Boss DD-3 for around a hundred bucks. Then theres the other end of the spectrum--something like the Akai Headrush--expensive but nice.

Other older delays that I like include the Ibanez EchoMacine and the Dan Echo from Danelectro. You could probably Ebay one for cheap.

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The DLS Echo Tap is worth looking into - you can switch back and forth between a preset delay and the tap tempo. It also has a very effective tone control so you can get both digital and analog sounding delays out of it. I also believe it has stereo inputs, which means you can run stereo chorus AND stereo delay, which is really cool if you run a stereo setup. Check out the website for full details.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on the dd-20. I keep learning more and more what delays can do for one's sound, and the DD-20 never fails me in getting to the sound I'm searching for

5. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I use a Boss DD3 and an EH Memory man. I prefer the Eh, but if I wanted versatility and tap temp, I'd ge the line 6 Dl4. Lots of good settings in there.

6. Lesterman123

Lesterman123 Member

Thanks guys for all of your input. Ive also been looking at just getting a DD3 and getting it modded. I was kind of attached to getting the Echo park just becuase it seemed to have allot of the stuff the Dl4 did but in a smaller stompbox package, the only problem i found before i bought one was the noise problem that everyone talks about, if the power supply solves this problem maybe i will have to look into it again.

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi,

Memory man sound + tap tempo in the Diamond Memory Lane. Plus lots more!

8. JBarlow

JBarlow Member

+1 on the DD-20. I actually use all of the presets in one band I play in (3 for guitar, one for violin), and even the analog sounds reasonably good.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Money no object: Memory Lane ($430) or Echoczar ($800?)
    Money is an object: Akai Headrush if you need tap tempo

10. exodus

exodus Member

one of the best sounding for ~$300 to $350 is the AD-900. As soon as I got one the dd-20 was sold. The dd-20 is a hell of a unit that does a lot of things, and is better than any other boss digital delay--but as my girlfriend said... "that pedal [the dd-20] kinda sounds fake next to that one [ad-900]".

for a lot less money-- digitech digidelay. I think more guys on this board would own it if they had to pay $190 instead of $90 used. It's small, reliable, has headroom and good tones. That and the digitech reverb pedal are real sleepers around here.

you could look into an analogman or keeley modded dd-3,4,5,6 however I can't talk from experience. Some mods add tap tempo (if that is really important to you), but I've always found that boss digital delay run out of headroom and distort when they have a gain pedal before them. I also really don't like the buffer.

11. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

One thing that could be a minus for the Echo Park is that it doesn't store presets--you get what you set it to. If you want to use several different settings and you are playing live, you will have to manually set each one.

The DL4 will give you presets, as will the DD-20. For me the Echo Park is fine for live because I use one basic setting and just change the delay time with tap tempo. I know other guys who are real into ambient textures and washes who need multiple settings and sounds.

Whatever you decide, try before you buy if possible.

12. Ned

Ned Member

find a first version DD-3 with the DD-2 chip, i got one by luck off ebay and they sound much warmer and analog than the newer DD-3's, ive yet to get it modded because it just sounds good as it is, really makes your sound big, and since its digital it works well with OD.