Need help picking my first 'significant' acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by AaeCee, Dec 14, 2005.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I've accmulated quite a collection of high end electrics over the years, but have a couple of very modest acoustics. I'm going to step up to a serious acoustic, and could use some advice from more experienced hands. The guitar style I gravitate toward is the 'slope-shouldered' dread (they've got that muscle car look!). Those I've played (Gibson J-45, Collings CJ, Martin D-18GE), sounded big and balanced, and I found them comfortable. I am primarily a flat picker, and prefer narrower spacing at the nut and bridge. I've tried some short scale versions (J-45, Collings SS variant) and like it a lot, but am not tied to that concept. I play no bluegrass, and lean towards blues and rock ballads. Price range, say 2-4 thousand. I'm open to wood choices, and like a defined, yet woody organic tone (ie...don't care for Taylors). I like fat necks, Vs are great, and do not want electronics on board. Hope that's enough to go on. Thanks! AC

2. e-z

e-z Member

3. johan

johan Member

For the money the new Tacoma line is hard to beat. Great playing and sounding instruments.

4. Ogre

Ogre Member

Santa Cruz
    Lowden

5. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

6. jayn

jayn Member

7. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

+1 on J-45. If you really want to hear the low end, step up to a J-200. I have a definite Gibson bias in the acoustic realm, but considering you said you don't care for Taylors, we may have similar ears :)

I've loved almost every Larivee I've picked up. Their jumbos KILL. You could do two modest Larivees in your price range...(gotta have one dropped down to do Neil Young songs, right?)

Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Collings, all killer, but never felt like I needed to drop that kind of change, being primarily a rock (primarily electric) guy.

8. mprvise

mprvise Member

I'm in the same boat. I've got about 2500 to spend. Looking at Taylor (610 and 810), and a pre-Fender Tacoma. Some of the others mentioned (Collings) are a bit out of my range. Any further advice?

Also, Taylors and Martins are readily available where I am, and some of the others are not (4 - 6 hour drive to play one).

9. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

In Michigan, where I live, we're lucky to have one of the finest guitar shops in the world, Elderly Instruments. They have one of the greatest selection of acoustic guitars in the country. They are also the largest retailer of Martins in the country. Before I purchased my Martins I tried every make & model in their showroom. If you look at their website and see the selection the have you'll know thats alot of fine pieces. Hands down the Martins were the best sounding. I have 3. A 000038H,
    Eric Clapton Signiture (00028ECB) & D1812 12 string. I did the "Pepsi Challange" method in trying the various brands out and the choice was obvious. The others were great instruments but the sound was the thing.
    Another thing to think about...a Martin will hold it's value.
    :JAM

10. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Look no further - Goodall all the way...

I love my Rosewood standard.

11. Den

Den Member

+1 for me. After about three years of looking for an acoustic that would really inspire me, I just brought home a Goodall Concert Jumbo in Rosewood/Sitka and feel I've found the acoustic guitar to last a lifetime. Others you've mentioned are excellent as well, but until I picked up this Goodall, I just never found anything I really wanted to take home. As always, these choices are a very personal thing.

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Thanks for all the replys, guys. Lots of stuff to explore. Keep 'em coming! AC

13. Gazza

Gazza Member

I've played and owned just about everything. I think going with Goodall, Huss and Dalton, or Collings is the wisest and best choice. The guitar I think you should check out is the one I just bought, the Collings D1A. I am floored by this guitar! Scary and big tone that cuts through anything. Man I love adirondack.

14. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Think grand piano... Goodall

15. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yeah, I'm a bit taken with the Collings CJ so far...in sunburst no less (yeah, I know you purists cringe about bursts on acoustics). But strangely, there's this one Gibson J-45 that played so well, and had quite the sound. Anything wrong with the Gibbos, aside from inconsistent quality control?

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If you like that one, why should inconsistency bother you? Who cares about the other ones they made that day?

If you like the J-45, check out the Santa Cruz Vintage Jumbo or Vintage Southerner. You're in for a real treat. I like Collings a lot... but I like Santa Cruz more than any other acoustic being made today.

You won't go wrong with any of them, so just go for the one that speaks to you most.

17. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I'll just go by experience.
    If you want low action big bottom - Taylor 800 series Rosewood
    If you want more piercing sparkling clear - Goodall KOA or Mahogany
    If you want real strong deep bottom - C Fox SJ-X
    If you want grand piano - well balanced and mellow - Charis SJ Brazilian Rosewood (I haven't tried an Olson or Wingert but this guitar beats every acoustic I've tried!)
    Also the Gibson J-200 Ron Wood is pretty special in the sense that it has Maple sound with great strong Bottom.

In general: Koa, Maple and Mahogany are fairly bright sounding to me. And Rosewood is deep. Brazilian Rosewood most balanced.
    Cedar top deep, Spruce top Bright, Mahogany or Koa top really bright.
    The smaller the guitar the brighter.
    In your price range there is such a ton of guitars to choose from so I'd say hit some good stores try em all! If you find your sound, but not your setup (Nut width or neck) get it custom ordered.
    I know you say no electronics, not sure why, I like to have a very non intrusive style I-Beam or B-Band like Pick up in my guitar with a battery pre-amp out from the strap button location (now replaced with a 1/4" jack) Very handy to have around and minimal wood is chopped up.

18. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Goodall acoustics are some of the finest sounding instruments I've ever played. One day...

19. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

woody and organic sounds like mahogany back and sides to me. its punchy but doesn't have the shimmer, overtones, or sustain that rosewood has. i think most of these makers can accomodate you with your neck size/nut width preferences.

20. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

I've been on a similar quest lately and I've played just about everything. The two I keep coming back to are:

Huss and Dalton

Bourgeois