Need help picking new software.....

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by scottl, Feb 6, 2006.

1. scottl

scottl Member

Hi guys,

I am in the process of upgrading my recording setup and I need help choosing my software.

Here is what I have to work with:

EMU 1820M PCI soundcard and breakout box
    Tube mic pre
    All sorts of DirectX and VST plugins
    PC and not Mac...plenty of power and memory

I currently am running Sequioa 7.2 I am not happy with it.

At NAMM, the EMU guy recommended Nuendo. I mainly need robust multitracking capability with nice stable plugin operation. Simple to use is better. ASIO is neccessary.

How is Sonar 5 in comparison to Cubase or Nuendo???

Any advice is welcome! I don't plan on any hardware changes.

Thanks!

Scott

2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Going from Sequoia to Nuendo is kinda like going from a Hummer to a Ford Expedition.
    Also seeing that Seqoia in at version 8.21 you might want to upgrade.
    I have no issues working in either Sequoia or Nuendo. And I have a sneaking suspicion that any problems you have isn't the software.
    We're talking legit copy here right. If not, then I'm guessing it's more of a H20 dongle emulator question than anything else.

3. neve1073

neve1073 Member

If you mainly need stable, robust multitracking software I would go with Cubase SX3. I've worked a lot with nuendo and cubase. If you buy nuendo, it sounds to me like you would be buying a lot of stuff you won't need whereas with SX3 you will get only what you need--and probably then some. I don't know sonar or sequoia. For recording, editing and stability, sx3 compares favorably to protools imo.

4. Bob Savage

Bob Savage Member

Alright, where did Scott go? This was shaping up to be an interesting thread, and he disappears!

5. straticus

straticus Member

I was going to recommend Samplitude but if you're using Sequoia what's the point? You're already using one of the best apps out there.

6. Bob Savage

Bob Savage Member

Plus, Sequoia is essentially Samp on steroids anyway.

7. Marcello

Marcello Member

Scott, i really dig sonar 5, it's great and robust !

8. Bob Savage

Bob Savage Member

I'm not planning on switching back from Samplitude (did that once already, from Samp 7 to SONAR 4), but how would you compare SONAR 4 to SONAR 5? I used Cakewalk from PA7 to SONAR Producer 4, except for my short stint with Samp 7, but now I'm very pleased with Samp.

9. scottl

scottl Member

Hi Bob!

I called Ed and he suggested things to me. He advised to set up a buss with my effects. I was applying them track by track. I need to pan my delay and the only way is with a buss. Now, I need to learn how to set up that buss.

What do you guys think about Samplitude 8 versus Sequioa 7???

10. Bob Savage

Bob Savage Member

Hello Scott,

Unless you're doing video, Samp 8 is going to have everything you need. I do believe there are some additional audio perks, but I find Samp 8 to be well suited to pretty much everything I need.

I use Aux busses for all my fx additions and just route them over from the track (there are sends there already). You can add a submix or aux bus the same way you would add another track. Take a looksee, the option will be there.

11. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

That's not what I read on the sonar forums. I'm not upgrading from 4 to 5...

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Still rocking here with Cubase SX3 and honestly, still digging it. No issues, everything works, fast and powerful for audio. Just my opinion. Former Samp user, FWIW.