Need Help Picking out Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by desire machine, Aug 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. desire machine

desire machine Member

I need a practice amp.

I have a Marshall DSL 40c which is fine for bedroom volumes but doesn’t have a headphone jack.

I’m not looking to spend a lot of money. ~$300 max for something with worthwhile features.

What I’m looking for:
    *Headphone Jack
    *Tube amp
    *Good sounding cleans ( plan to stick pedals into it, but some decent gain is also nice)
    *EQs (hi med low... I don’t like that orange micro terror has only one eq knob)
    *Speaker (I don’t want to have to hook into cab in order to hear it without headphones, tho I may be willing to go that route to keep price down and get something that’s sounds good plugged into cab)

I was looking at Orange lunchbox amps but cheaper ones only have one eq knob and they lack speaker.

Fender looks out of price range.

Marshall I already got one so I want something different.

However, Vox seems too different from Marshall, so that’s also out.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. muzishun

muzishun Member

EVH 5150 iii 6L6.

:aok

buddaman71 and HoboMan like this.
  3. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

4. desire machine

desire machine Member

:confused: Waayyyy outside price range.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  5. desire machine

desire machine Member

Thanks for suggestions, but I don't think it's worth effort of trying to sell/swap amp to get headphone jack.

An adapter might be a good option if cheap... but I'm not sure how well would work, and think would require disconeccting speaker to make amp only come through headphone jack... could be a hassle... and for that price it'd be better just getting a practice amp. Also part of my desire to get practice amp is to have something very small and easily portable.

I think I want to get something like the Orange Micro Terror, but I'm annoyed it has only one knob for EQ... if you move up in price in Orange amps to get 3 EQ then they take away the Headphone jack :( Seems a lot of the small amps only have one EQ knob. :( It's hard finding something w/ headphone that isn't bottom of barrel w/ features or expensive. Seems as soon as amps start going up in price/size/features they take away headphone jack.

Might go route of getting something cheap solid state like Hotone Mini Amps. But advantage of getting tube amp like Microterror is I could potentially bring it to jam w/ band and plug into cabinet. I think Hotone will sound too crappy for that.

6. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

This. $125 All day long. You dont need tubes for a practice amp.

7. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

The Micro Terror is not really a tube amp: it just has a single 12AX7 as part of its preamp, and it doesn't even run at normal voltages.

Honestly, if you only have $300, solid-state is a much better option. Any tube amp that has a headphone jack that can be used when the speaker is off can either only be used that way when on standby and takes the signal only from the pre-amp or has a built-in load after the power amp. Speaker emulation is required in either case if you want it to sound decent. A good sounding speaker-emulated headphone jack just isn't common on cheap tube amps.

Also, you don't need to disconnect most load boxes that have speaker-emulated headphone jacks. I think I pointed you to the wrong Two Notes product, though. That one doesn't have a headphone jack (or speaker emulation). A lot of devices do, though (and most don't need to be physically disconnected form the speaker when playing silently).

desire machine, one4five and muzishun like this.
  8. Someotherguy

Someotherguy Member

I find routine daily practice on the Yamaha THR-10 pretty convenient. AUX in, Headphones out, FX built in, built in tuner, highly portable and decent to good tones in most modes.

MkIIC+, jens5 and Brutus like this.
  9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

one4five and scott58 like this.
  10. Warmy

Warmy Supporting Member

11. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I know you said you don't want another Marshall, but the DSL1HR/CR are otherwise perfect.

desire machine likes this.
  12. Brutus

Brutus Member

Can’t go wrong here.

desire machine and jens5 like this.
  13. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

14. jvin248

jvin248 Member

15. one4five

one4five Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  16. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

My D-18 is my practice amp. It might even 'take pedals' but I've never felt the need.

desire machine likes this.
  17. DGA

DGA Member

Just get a THR10 and be done with it.

desire machine and jens5 like this.
  18. desire machine

desire machine Member

I’m thinking I’ll just get whatever practice amp I can get for cheap to solve headphones prob in short term, but I’m intrigued now about a load box...do people use those for recording as opposed to micing amps? Are there advantages to that? I’m thinking no background noise might be better

19. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

There are a number of older technology modeling pedals that are next to free on the used market, these are more than adequate for covering headphone needs.

Check out the Vox StompLab stuff.

Calebz likes this.
  20. Calebz

Calebz Member

Joyo Bantamp. Similar setup to the micro terror. So only one EQ knob. But unlike the orange, the bantamps are mostly 2 channels and they have effects loops, which can add to your EQ options.