need help securing back on a '75 Marshall 412 (screw holes 'r stripped)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imguitardan, Jan 22, 2008.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I'm getting some rattle from my 412 b/c the back's not properly secured. What's the best way to fill the holes which the mounting screws attach to back to the cab and re-screw the screws in? Thanks

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

well, the old standby trick was jabbing several glue covered wooden matchstick slivers into the ratted out holes and then tightening down the back. You just have to take care and not have excess glue oozing all over the place. If you dont want to drill new holes an inch or so away, I suppose you could drill the bad hole out with a dowel sized bit, glue in a short dowel and then redrill the hole into the dowel.

3. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

wood glue $ toothpicks

4. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Would Gorilla Glue work? If I used wood glue or gorilla glue would I need the toothpicks? Thanks

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Forget the glue, just break off a matchstick in each hole and you are good to go.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Superglue and tooth picks work for me. No Glue and you run the risk of the toothpicks falling out I have seen it happen. Gorilla glue is great but it expands like crazy and you run the real risk of permanently gluing the back on. Put the super glue and tooth picks in the holes put the screws in and let dry without putting on the back later put the back on.

7. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

The flat toothpicks work way better than matchsticks.

8. gooma

gooma Member

You could also try filling the holes up with 5 minute araldite. then drill them out with a small drill bit. I`ve done this quite a few times and it seems to work really well.
    If the holes go right through the wood just place some masking tape underneath till the glue drys.

Brad

9. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

I had some stripped holes on my old '74 cab. Being the obsessive compulsive type I am, I made dowels on my drill press, then hammered them in with some titebond, and re drilled.

10. StoneAge Cabs

StoneAge Cabs Silver Supporting Member

Now that's the way to do it!

11. primerib

primerib Member

+1

I've used this combination for stap buttons and other screw holes. works great and cleans up easily

12. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

What works better than toothpicks or matchsticks is a small piece of #12 solid copper wire. It is soft enough for the screw threads to bite into but tough enough to remain in place.

13. devbro

devbro Member

The glue toothpick method is a one time fix and will strip again next time you take the back off. Instead, drill out the stripped holes and use t-nuts then use flat head bolts to attach the cab. Better than new and will never strip again.

14. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Do NOT use gorilla glue.. that stuff gets VERY messy.. As mentioned above it expands like crazy and will run everywhere after it does