need help securing back on a '75 Marshall 412 (screw holes 'r stripped)

imguitardan

I'm getting some rattle from my 412 b/c the back's not properly secured. What's the best way to fill the holes which the mounting screws attach to back to the cab and re-screw the screws in? Thanks

doctord02

well, the old standby trick was jabbing several glue covered wooden matchstick slivers into the ratted out holes and then tightening down the back. You just have to take care and not have excess glue oozing all over the place. If you dont want to drill new holes an inch or so away, I suppose you could drill the bad hole out with a dowel sized bit, glue in a short dowel and then redrill the hole into the dowel.

908SSP

Superglue and tooth picks work for me. No Glue and you run the risk of the toothpicks falling out I have seen it happen. Gorilla glue is great but it expands like crazy and you run the real risk of permanently gluing the back on. Put the super glue and tooth picks in the holes put the screws in and let dry without putting on the back later put the back on.

gooma

You could also try filling the holes up with 5 minute araldite. then drill them out with a small drill bit. I`ve done this quite a few times and it seems to work really well.
If the holes go right through the wood just place some masking tape underneath till the glue drys.

Brad

Ian Anderson

I had some stripped holes on my old '74 cab. Being the obsessive compulsive type I am, I made dowels on my drill press, then hammered them in with some titebond, and re drilled.

Plague Dog

What works better than toothpicks or matchsticks is a small piece of #12 solid copper wire. It is soft enough for the screw threads to bite into but tough enough to remain in place.

devbro

The glue toothpick method is a one time fix and will strip again next time you take the back off. Instead, drill out the stripped holes and use t-nuts then use flat head bolts to attach the cab. Better than new and will never strip again.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom