NEED HELP: SED =Winged=C VS. New Sensor Svetlana 6L6GC's

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Mooncusser, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi guys,

I am looking for some new tubes. I have always used sed =winged-C 6L6GC's
    I have a quad of Svetlana EL-34's I put up for trade and someone responded back with an offer of a quad of the New Sensor Svetlana 6L6GC's.
    Can anyone please fill me in on this tube?
    Good, bad or the ugly?
    Thank you all in advance for your help.
    Best rgards,
    Mass

2. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I appreciate the feedback..............
    I have read there IS a difference between the SED=Winged=C, in comparision to the new sensor svetlana 6L6GC's.
    I am trying to find out if there is a difference or not.
    Hopefully someone will chime in.
    Thanks,
    Mass

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

So I assume there is a difference in tone/ quality?
    The SED =C= being the higer ended of the two? :NUTS \
    Here is the culprit in question:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks and peace,
    Mass

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Here's a pic of the culprit!..LOL!

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thanks, OTM!
    Graet link..................:AOK

6. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

That link just talks about the GT GE?

It's true that the current Svetlanas are made by Reflektor, but it is not - in the case of the EL34, at least - true that they are "just relabelled Sovteks". The Reflektor-made Svetlana EL34 is a unique tube, different from any of the Sovtek/EH/Mullards, as well as not identical (although very similar) to the SED/Winged C.

I don't know if this is true for the 6L6 or not.

7. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I'll tell you,
    I have done a TON of reading up on this subject since I have posted it this weekend.
    I think you are right.
    I even contacted Doug from Doug's Tubes, and LordValve.
    They both reported to me that the New Sensor Svetlana 6L6GC's are an excelllent tube. They both commented on thier tone, dynamics and reliability as wonderful.
    Maybe not an original NOS blackplate, but as new production tubes go they were in agreement that they were top shelf quality.
    I figured if I read the reviews for these tubes, and then contacted both of those respected dealers, that would shed some light on them.
    Now that I see that they both said the same thing about the same tube...there has to be some truth to that.
    I respect thier views and have to look into these tubes with a new respect. I have a quad on the way.:rolleyes:
    Take care
    Mass

8. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Right, but that's just discussing the old Sovtek '5881' and says nothing about the 'Svetlana' branded 6L6. That's sort of like comparing modern 12AX7s and representing Reflektor with the old Sovtek 12AX7WA instead of the T-S or EH versions. The 5881 was superseded by the 6L6WXT, then the 6L6EH. The 6L6EH is a fine-sounding tube.

9. empty71

empty71 Member

10. scottl

scottl Member

Stick with Winged C SED tubes. Much better tone than the New Sensor versions... I use the SED.

11. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi guys,

I was very, VERY decided on no matter what, staying with the SED =C=6L6GC's.
    But when my tube dealer Doug Preston (Doug's Tubes) responded to me about The New Sensor Svetlana's he said, and I quote:

"The New Sensor Svetlanas and the SED =C=(formerly known as Svetlana) are 2 different tubes. I still have a good supply of the SED's, and the price will be going up shortly to $76/quad. I dont know anything about the demise of the factory in St Petersburg, rumors have been flying about for 7 years now. I can say this, the New Sensor version is every bit as good as the SED's, and the difference in tone if any is imperceptable. My vote goes to the Svetlanas. By the way, dont expect that price on the Svetlana'sto last too much longer either."

I had to trust him.He has always been brutally honest and fair with me, and I respect his opinon.

LordValve had this to say about the New Sensor Svetlana's when I asked him his opinion:
    " No problems with overall
    performance, especially as far as sustain and feedback
    go. These are *great* 6L6s, and are now the favorite
    of many of my boutique amp builder customers, like Doug
    Roccaforte. Many of my repair tech customers prefer
    them over anything else. In my opinion, the best
    current-production 6l6 on the planet
    ."

After getting this feedback from two of the higher rated and more trusted tube dealers out there, I have to say, Damn...I'm going to give them a try!!!! ;)

I am not a tube snob (LOL!) but if I can't trust guys like this, who can I trust?
    I'll let you know how it goes, but when I REALLY don't know the answer, I ask the pro's. They really help out alot, and have an incredible knowledge as to these issues.
    My best to you all,
    Mass

12. scottl

scottl Member

SED sounds better. I have the dogears..... LOL

I have two sets of "new" Svetlanas. The Reflektor ones. I don't think they sound as warm or sweet as the SED tubes. This is in my Fuchs and Glaswerks as a point of reference. Think Blackface power amp.

I'd like to think my opinion on a tubes tone has as much merit as a "dealer".

I just bought more SED from Doug!! Great dude... No mention of selling me Svetlana instead.... LOL

Scott

13. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I hear ya, man!! LMAO!:rotflmao
    Given to me for free...Id take the SED's quicker than a buttered eel on a waterpark slide.
    But remember, the main reason I asked this question in the first place was because the Svets are cheaper than the SED's.
    I wanted to know what the difference was...I guess I got my answer.
    Cheers and peace,
    Mass
    PS...Doug is an awesome dude!