Need help sourcing a junction box to wall-mount jacks

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Leonc, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I'm adding a 2nd story to my house. The room above our garage will be used as a home office and for recording. In that room will be a 6x6 closet with a raised floor and a lot of other sound-deadening features. I want to mount several jacks on the wall inside the "sound closet" and connect them to similar wall jacks in the main room and I need to find the proper wall-mounting box and jacks. The jacks will allow me to connect to amps, speaker cabs and microphones inside the sound closet and will be connected to eachother via cables strung through the wall that both boxes will be mounted on.

Does anyone have experience getting this stuff? Got any suggestions on who sells it. Here's my idea:

[​IMG]

So I'm hoping to find some decent sized boxes that I can drill out for a couple of mic jacks and a couple of 1/4" female jacks. Then I need to get some wall covers as well. (Heck I've also got to get the jacks, but that shouldn't be too hard to find...)

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

4. Leonc

Wow, excellent links. Yes I've bought stuff from Markertek before, but Redco looks like it's more oriented specifically to these kind of products. Excellent!

I haven't bought raw mic cable before...but I'm going to want XLRs for a simple Shure SM57 type mic and maybe a condenser mic that needs phantom power--but still just a 3-prong XLR type jack. With that in mind, do you guys know what kind of cable I need for the mics? Just something like Mogami Standard mic cable? Redco has quite a few varieties...

5. stratofied

stratofied Member

I like Mogami. It's very good quality and easy to work with. Redco has a house brand cable that is similar to Mogami if price is a concern. Normally I would use Multi-Pair but if you are only going to have a couple of XLR connections standard mic cable will do as well.

6. Leonc

Well, I should probably "think ahead". What would I want multi-pair for?

7. stratofied

stratofied Member

If you plan to have four or more XLR connections Multi-Pair is worth using. You could get by either way in a short run like you diagram shows.

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Depending on the budget, I would use 2X6 wall studs as a minimum and frame that closet with sound-dapening material + 3/4" drywall. Then any foam would trick it out to be a fantastic booth for vocal and amp isolation. I prefer wood floors for isolation booths, but I know a producer that just uses his cement basement closet with a few blankets and gets great results. I prefer the wood floors for amps, and you can always throw a rug down for the vocal. I don't like the mids I get on carpet flooring, though the sound deading factor might be a good thing, well, the deader I sound the better! :eek:

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Leon, I have some extra wall plates with XLR jacks from my own studio build out. You can have them. email me.

10. justicetones

justicetones Member

+1 on that. For permanent installs I like Mogami. Mic cables and such that are being used and abused I go with 4 conductor Canare.

One other thought on the closet. http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/products/blocking/sound_barrier.asp

This stuff will do as much or more than a double sheet of drywall and it will help to decouple the space from the structure. It is amazing stuff. Worth every penny. Usually we sandwich it in between a layer of plywood and the final drywall layer.

11. Leonc

Actually, the room is going to be lined with that stuff. All walls, ceiling and one layer of floor. The first layer of drywall will be on channels, off the studs too.

12. Leonc

Les...man that's too cool. I just placed a $50.00 order with Redco. I'll shoot you an email though...

13. justicetones

justicetones Member

Good job. So you are sandwiching it between the two layers? The stuff is absolutely amazing.

14. Leonc

I believe so...the builder was supposed to contact them and ask about the best way to mount it. Have you had any experience with mounting drywall on those 'sound channels' rather than directly onto the studs? Any feel for how effective that is?

15. justicetones

justicetones Member

Yes I have. They seem to work very well but in my experience they are no substitute for a few layers of unlike materials. As long as you are going to have that sound barrier sandwiched between two layers of drywall or something similar you will be in good shape. The Sound channels also help.

If I were to decide what materials to use I would say mount drywall to the studs OR sound channel----- the use some thickness of plywood (we used 3/4" or 1" and attach the audioseal sound barrier to the back of the plywood. It is really hard to hang unless it is attached to something. We used small little roofing nails with a wide head. The end result is the audioseal material is sandwiched between the 1st layer of drywall and plywood. A final layer of drywall and you're set. We also used caulking to seal the floor to wall and wall to ceiling meeting points in the plywood and drywall. The plywood is important because the dissimilar materials really help acoustically. Plywood is more linear than drywall in it's absortion of the sound spectrum.

If you have any other questions feel free to email me.

16. Leonc

Okay guys, got another related question, has to do with XLR wiring. The idea is that the sound closet will have speaker cabs and mics in it. I'll have a mixing console, computer, etc. in the larger room. The two rooms will be connected via the junction boxes. I'll have a couple of XLR connectors, a couple of shielded guitar cable connectors and a couple speaker cable connectors.

I've never wired XLR type connectors before; but I've now got some twin-lead, shielded cable to wire the them with. I'll have female XLR connectors in each junction box. So...can suggest the proper wiring between the junction boxes. I take it I'll be wiring the leads to pins 2 and 3 on both ends, yes? What about the shielding?

17. dash_doc

dash_doc Member

Standard XLR wiring is

pin 1 shield
    pin 2 hot
    pin 3 cold

as long as you keep the same color lead to pins 2 and 3 at both ends it won't matter, you but usually you would use red for pin 2 and black for pin 3. I would suggest twisting the shield, tinning it with solder and then putting some teflon tubing around it to make sure it doesn't short to the other pins, or you can cut the shield short and solder a lead to it then solder that to pin 1

If you want some help drop me a PM

18. Leonc

Dave - that's great. I seemed to recall having read something about leaving off the sheilding on the female side or something...but wasn't sure about that in this application.

Hey where do you go for your electronic supplies? I don't have any teflon tubing and I'm not crazy about the store I've been going to on Supulveda and Ocean in Torrance...

19. dash_doc

dash_doc Member

I usually go to Pacific Radio in Hollywood, it's not too far from work, it's a great place very much one stop electronics shopping. The South bay shops leave a bit to be desired. It's Signal Electronics that's at Supulveda and Ocean in Torrance, right? I think that Torrance Electronics is a little better, not great but better.They are on the north side of Carson Blv. about a block east of Western, sorry I don't know the address, and it's a little hard to spot; it's a small white sign with black lettering IIRC.

There are a lot of opinions about grounding. If you are going to build a star ground, where the chassis of all your gear is tied to the ground plane of the console, and the console is tied to earth. Then it is common practice to not connect the ground at the recieve side of balanced signals to eliminate the possibility of ground loops. So for instance the console two track send to a record machine would have shield connected at the console end but not at the record deck, the return path would have shield connected at the record deck but not the console. However assuming that the stuff you are building is for microphones you will need shield at both ends if you want to phantom power the mic(s). In general it is good practice to pin all three points on an XLR where it is a run between two panels, and do any necessary ground lifting at the equipment end.

20. Leonc

Thanks Dave; yes someone told me about the place on Carson, but they were much less specific so I hadn't bothered checking...but I will now.

I'm just doing this for micing and will indeed use a condenser with phantom power requirements on occasion, so I'll definitely solder the shield to pin 1. Thanks for all your help!