Need help/tips to reduce gain in my Roccaforte Custom 80

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitarBrent, Jun 27, 2008.

1. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

This amp sounds great in overdrive mode, which is half the reason I wanted it so bad. However, I was expecting significantly more clean headroom on this amp. With the master volume full up, anything past barely cracked on the preamp knob makes the amp start to break up. I guess the amp could be biased hot in the power section, but I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions on how to make the amp cleaner. Any tube rolling or other suggestions?

I was hoping for a very loud clean tone with the master up, and enough gain for old school rock with the master down and the preamp knob up past noon. HELP?!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

You really should get the amp checked first.
    The Custom 80 will play loud and clean.
    Or, another option I can build you a Jenelle 80/100
    and give you a clean non master channel
    instead of the HG side.

3. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Ok, so I took it out of the Emporium. Could a hot bias on the power section really be the sole cause of this?

4. Ironman

Ironman Member

Crank the master and just barely crack the gain on. With single coils she should be super clean, buckers are a little gainier/darker obviously. Adjusting the bias may help a little. Whatcha plugging into the Rocca?

5. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Strats, PRS McCarty, and Hamer w/p90s. With all of them I get break up with the master full up and the preamp knob anywhere past just barely on. The dirty sound is phenominal. Just trying to get a loud clean sound to go with it.

6. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

Well the man who built it replied with his answer so I would go that route. Otherwise, back the master knob down to 3:00 o'cock and try that. Are you putting anything else into the signal chain?

7. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Just guitar->cord->amp

8. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Backing the master down only lowers the volume of the amp, but not the amount of overdrive. The preamp seems to just be really overdriven.