Need help transcribing and understanding this line please!

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Tag, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Here is a short Benson lick that has driven me nuts for years for some reason or another. It is a C minor blues, and its played over C minor right before approaching the Fminor (IV) so it can be looked at as over C7 approaching F minor as well. (V-i) The notes I THINK he is playing in the first slurred part of the lick is this C,F,Ab,B,F, then he plays Eb,Gb,Eb,Gb,B. Now that I see as Bmaj (B7), which is the relative Dom 7 a half step below a minor chord. That is also nice because it is given you the flat 5 sub to A#7 which is a relative 7 of the upcoming F-7 chord. Whew! (really just a Gb-7 to F-7 move) Anyway, can anyone figure out if I am right or wrong, and WHAT is the actual first part of the line? Here are 2 clips of it. The first in real time and and in context (the line in question is from 10-12 seconds). The second clip I slowed just the exact line down so you can hear it really slow. HELP and thanks!!!!!!!

Real time: Lick at 10-12 seconds: http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=8514839&q=hi

Lick slowed down: http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=8514841&q=hi

2. Tag

Anyone??? Did a 21 year old benson stump everyone?

:dunno

3. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Tag, bro, if it was a better lick, I'd be all over it! LOL

Maybe I can do it over the holiday....

4. Tag

Man, I love it!

5. kimock

kimock Member

Hi Tag. It sounds like he's just grabbing that tri-tone from the walk down where the lick starts, B F, then that same Eb Gb Eb Gb you got, then one more Eb and slur the B up to C, then Ab B A Ab.
    Maybe more of an Ab7#9b9 blues lick than a B sound to my ears and/or fingers, but I'm sure that's open to interpretation.

So maybe a little G7 in that opening tri-tone, and then Ab7#9b9?

Good luck, Happy Holidays and Happy New Now, anytime you want it!
    My favorite holiday 'Happy New Now' with the possible exception of http://www.steakandbjday.com/

6. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

Yes Sir, put that one on the official holiday calendar!!!:beer

7. kape

kape Member

It's a diminished lick to my ears.Why he would choose THAT dim scale I don't know (the normal thing being a c half/whole of course), maybe he just wanted to take it out by raising it one step(or, if you prefer, lowering it one half), or maybe he was thinking an F# dim chord, or maybe (as kimock suggested) he was thinking Ab7#9.You could also hear it as G7b9 going to Ab7#9.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  8. kimock

kimock Member

I think he was thinking of a more diatonic line down a half step and playing it up a half step myself. Except for the opening tri-tone which just sounds like the vamp at that point, the line is fine down a half step resolving to the 9 of that F- chord. Dull normal almost. He was probably just fkn with it.

2 c.

9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

he's just using a tritone sub and it's corrosponding diatonic min7 chords (i.e. the dbm & abm. It's basically him thinking Gb7 prior to going to the F.