Need Help w/Running delay-mod effects in stereo w/Two Amps effects loops?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Adamclayton, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

Ok so I've ran some stereo setups before just playing around, but now I'm wanting to get serious with stereo setup.

*two amp- both with effects loops
    *5 pedals in front
    *3 stereo pedals in loop

I'm wanting to run my Strymon Timeline-Mobius and WET Reverb to both amp effects loops (or another way to get the best stereo effect without ground loop hum.
    I have a DA DCP-5 pedal-midi controller also. I want to be able to switch both amps on and off too.
    I understand I can get a Radial Twin City ABY pedal to run and control both amps.

The main thing is running all my delays-mod pedals with both amps effects loops. I want to use both amps overdrive Ch's so running delay in front isn't an option.

Can anyone suggest the best way to do this or what unit or pedal I'd need to be able to achieve this stereo effects setup with my amps effects loops?

Thanks

Here's a pic of my board:
    [​IMG]

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Best to use one amp as master/preamp send and then return back to both amp effects return, basically making 2nd amp a slave. You just have to deal with hum issues as they or if the arise.

Many effects that do things like modulation will bleed tones from one side to other and you'll run into all kinds of funky issues, only a few of the rack units will do true discrete dual channel processing.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  3. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

See yea I know about that send on main amp and return on both amps loops, that's not what I'm wanting but real similar . but thank you for your reply.

I think I need an interface of some sort but not sure what I need to achieve seperate signals for loop and front end plug ins.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  4. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

Dudes, isn't there some kind of interface or Lehile pedal that will let me run my delay and modulation effects in two amps without any bleeding over of signal?

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

It's not the interface that's the problem, it's the effects. It will be on a effect pedal by effect pedal basis which ones will let you process through true discrete, independent stereo channels. Some when your doing straight delays they can and will do that, but turn on some modulation with those delays then you'll get bleed over.

Say you get a Xotic stereo blender pedal, absolutely a true discrete chan blender, and stick it in your loops. Set all your stereo pedals to dry kill and use it to parallel blend those effects with your dry signal, it will work perfectly and keep your preamp tones discrete.... Until you turn on a certain effect on those effects devices.

You need to set down and find out which effects you have that can do true discrete processing, find out if their capable of dry kill ect. Then start mapping out if there is a device that allow you to do what you want.

What your probably going to find is that to get kind of functionality, many of your effects just won't work and that the controllers to do that kind of switching is probably gonna cost as much, if not more than your amps and effects combined.

6. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

Thanks for that info and replying man. Oh I see what your saying, and totally understand the different effects that might bleed and spill over. I have my board posted about. The Timeline and Mobius have killdry and the WET Stereo Reverb V2 is true stereo.

I was thinking about the Exotic Blender thing months ago but some of this stuff still confuses me.

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

And thus is why I try not to think about doing this sort of thing to much anymore, I can say that I was probably in your mind set in say the late 90's, earl 2k's, the routing, the patching, the cables running everywhere, it will drive you mad I tell you.

I'm much happier (and more sane) with 2 clean amps and all pedal/preamps/effects in front of them.

8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Word.

9. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

Oh trust me man I know. I've ran stereo MIDI rig several times over the years at gigs and in studio. LOTS of cables and interfaces. But this is just for home studio use. I got it figured out. Thanks for you guys help!

10. logdrum

logdrum Member

I just got the G-System and I am doing the 4 cable (or 5 cable if I am using 2 amps). Go to page 25 or 24 of the manual

http://cdn-downloads.tcelectronic.com/media/216833/tc_electronic_g-system_manual_english.pdf

The G-System is very flexible you can control whether one or both signals are clean or dirty plus you can adjust the output of each. It's not your typical stereo out.

I got it used from GC for the price of 2 strymon or 3 TC pedals. It also has the ability to loop in overdrive pedals but "place" them right after the guitar signal.

11. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

I use separate effects for my 2 amps