Need help w/ speaker wiring options

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by GA20T, Mar 20, 2015.

1. GA20T

GA20T Member

I've got an empty 2x12 cab. Ideally, I'd like to purchase two 8 ohm speakers, be able to run either a 4 ohm (BF Bandmaster) or 16 ohm head (not sure this exists/unlikely I would use this) into both speakers at once (series or parallel jack), or use only one of them at 8 ohm (probably most likely/common for me). Would a jack/wiring scheme (1st example) like the following allow me to do it, or does this omit the ability to plug into only one of the 8 ohm inputs for an 8 ohm load?

Alternatively, is there any way to utilize both speakers with amps requiring 4 & 8 ohm loads? I'm under the impression this is not possible, but it's the solution that would suit me best.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

3. GA20T

GA20T Member

Crap. As I suspected. Guess I'll go 2x16 ohm wired at 8 ohm and just run the Bandmaster through it anyhow.

4. Trobbins3

Trobbins3 Silver Supporting Member

If you are looking at attenuators to go with your rig, an Aracom can allow you to use mismatched head and cab ohms.

Wire your cabinet to best suit you and use the switchers to accommodate your heads.

Fryette Power Station may have the same flexibility.

Have fun, tone seekers!

5. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

If you can wire switches, you could do this. It would give you a series or parallel combination (selected with a DPDT switch), with the option to switch out either of the two speakers when in series mode using a center-off SPDT switch. That would give you your choice of either speaker running by itself (presenting 8 ohms).

Series mode, with SPDT in center-off position: 16 ohms, both speakers on.

Series mode, with SPDT thrown either to the upper or lower position: one speaker on, 8 ohms.

Parallel mode (SPDT switch has no effect): 4 ohms.

[​IMG]

6. GA20T

GA20T Member

This is the info I was hoping might pop up, thanks. I'm a bit dense when it comes to this stuff (wasn't even sure how to Google it), but I will take this into the tech next time I pay him a visit and see if we can work it neatly into a jack plate for my cab. This setup would really be ideal as I'd vastly prefer to buy two 8 ohm speakers for overall versatility, resale-ability etc.

7. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Yes, you need a separate, finger actuated switch.

There's some cabinet back plates available which try/promise to do that with jack built in leaf switches, but I find them quite unreliable after a short time under real stage use, not a good choice.

8. GA20T

GA20T Member

I'll look into these too. Thanks.