Need help with 10 inch speaker for my D*mble Style Amp-opinions on celestion G10L-35

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all,

Really dig what 10's do for my clean sound. Currently using WGS g10c / g10a mix in my super reverb and while I really like them for clean they haven't impressed me on the drive side yet.

I have a Two-Rock that seems to mate well with the WGS speakers when clean, but they don't do what I want on the drive side. So my question is: Does anyone know of a 10' speaker that somewhat does a detailed american style clean and also stays relatively smooth when used on the drive side of a 'd' style amp?

Some have suggested that the celestion G10L-35 can do this, but others have said it is similar to a greenback. Other threads have mentioned the Jensen Mod 50 or the electric lightning, but the clips I have heard make them sound darker than I would like.

Should I search for EV 10's?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
I have TAD 6l6's in there now, but I have a quartet of GE 7581a's that will get used once I get it biased. I tried them briefly and they added a lot of clarity. A lot! Still, I want the right speakers for the job.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe swap each g10c for a g10c/s. The smooth coned version handles drive better. Not sure about the alnicos, though.

If you want to totally get away from WGS, you might look at a mix of either:
-alnico and ceramic tone tubbies
-celestion golds and greenbacks

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
Haven't tried tubbies so maybe I will give those a gander. Didn't care for 12 inch golds with the TR. Added a grit that I wasn't looking for.

ES330

Jensen MOD 10-70... adding it's lighter and cheaper than most other speakers
but... you gotta break it in before you notice how good this speaker is...

Been thru all the eminence, many webers and celestions.
and the WGS veteran and g10c

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
I will give the jensens another listen. The mod 10-50 sounded dark compared to the vintage series 10's when I listened to the clips on the site. Figured the added wattage handling would make them even darker... But what do I know. Will give them a listen.

schecter

IMO..To get the full effect (low end punch) in a live gig situation with a Dumble style amp which are generally voiced with plenty of low end (common with a Skyliner stack and a high plate gain stage structure) I recommend a 4X10 combo!!. 4x10 ceramics of your choosing are punchy,throaty, and have a fast attack,perfect for a D-Style amp..To get the full low end response I prefer a closed back set up..I have been using a 4X10 Marshall (Celestion G10L-35) for years with all my D-style amps 2nd generation on up through 183 type and love the tone..
BTW I find Alnico 10's to be too compressed (in OD mode) and the like the added chime they give in the clean mode BUT!!..Do not like it in OD Mode (a little harsh)..YMMV
Good Luck

Tony Albany

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
Eminence Rajun Cajun are a fine 10 inch speaker that I've found works well with both the clean and drive channels on a d-style amp.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
From what I hear the Mod 10-50 is clearer on the cleans and still handles drive pretty well. There is quite a fine line that must be straddled to achieve what I am after. The Mod series does come close.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Celestion g10s-50 ?

Last edited:

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the celestion insight Tony. Would like to hear more about those speakers.

I will also search for more clips of the rc's. Emi's haven't been my thing historically, but things change.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
That is a pretty decent clean sound. Will search for some drive clips.
Watching that clip will help me with my Italian class too!

schecter

The Legends Emi are a throwback speaker designed more for the classic Fender replacements.. Once again they are a bright speaker (especially bright before break in) Sound good on the clean.. But can be in certain open back cabs too bright in OD for my taste.. The trick is to get a speaker that does both clean and OD well (with the same EQ settings)..It's especially tough if you are using 1 or 2 10's speakers since the Dumble topology was not designed around the use of 1 or 2 10's..They were designed around a 12" speaker that can generate more low end more accurately..There are ways to compensate for the use of 2X10's and most knowledgeable amp designers know how..Or should know how..

Tony Albany

schecter

Thanks for the celestion insight Tony. Would like to hear more about those speakers.

Tele
The 35's (in 4X10 cab)to my ears sound very similar in timbre in both OD and clean as my G-12 65's (but faster & mo punch and good for Strat's).. But in a 10'..The 65's are a favorite speaker used in the Dumble community and Robben Ford..
I hope this Helps you

Tony Albany

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds pretty cool Tony. I might try to hunt those down.
I should mention that I have never been a big fan of g12-65 cleans. The 10 inch format may remove some of the nuances that bother me, but would you say they are very similar from a clean perspective?

schecter

Tele
Yes I would say that they are fairly similar (in a Closed Back design) maybe a bit smoother on the top (with some break in time) I think these speakers sound good on both clean and OD but give the OD side a slight advantage..Most other 10's I;ve tried sound good clean but never preferred the OD side..I have not yet found 1 that does both equally as well.. So there is some give and take..What is it that you don't like about the G12-65's..Perhaps I can offer some advice since I use both quite often..Or recommend something else..
Here is a clip of it in OD with My High Plate Music Man and a Strat..

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9030530&q=hi&newref=1

Tony

Last edited:

amphog

I have a 2x10 with EV's that I use with a 100w Fuchs pa mod. I am not overly impressed by it. Ten's sound best in groups of 4.

Trending Topics