Need help with a Gemino lead 55

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JB907, Sep 22, 2005.

1. JB907

JB907 Member

I have a germino lead 55,but the question I want to know is am I missing something because this amp just don't stack up to the hype I keep reading about.I have a bogner shiva that I like,but bought the germino for the plexe sound.The question is there that much of a difference between lead 55 and LV germino's.I run the head through govner speakers but the break up isn't there as much as a shiva.I was just wondering could anyone give me a clue to what I'm missing.
    The sound I'm looking for is a early 70's late sixty's sound,The kind Ron Wood had on small faces

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

You mean The Faces, The Small Faces were a different band which he wasn't in, that was Steve Marriott.
    I believe Ron used Ampeg stuff with The Faces. He also favoured Tony Zemaitis guitars at the time, though you could have seen him with almost anything.

Best, Pete.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

the good stuff only happens when the volume is up on the amp....at 2 oclock or higher. jumpering channels also helps, as does a good humbucker guitar.

4. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Yes. Make sure you are hitting it with Humbuckers.

5. will132

will132 Member

Put a TIM pedal in front of it. Opens it up a lot, big differance with lower volumes. Riff is right though, needs to be turned up.

6. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

what are your settings?

7. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

JB, that Germino of yours is a dog. I think you should give it to me so I can dispose of it for you ;)

Seriously, I thought it sounded great when I checked it out. Why don't you bring it by my house over the weekend and try it through my Greenback cab. I think that is a lot of what you're missing as the Governors are (in my opinion) way too efficient of a speaker for that amp. I've also got a couple of pedals to try for boosting it up a notch or two. I promise the sound you're looking for is in that amp!

8. jw71

jw71 Member

I have a Lead 55 and it sounds fine. Maybe you are expecting too much from the amp. It is not a high gain head. I haev recorded mine with the volume anywhere from 4 to 9 and it sounds huge anywhere, just a little cleaner when it is on 4.

9. gregc

gregc Member

If you don't like it with 4x12 Greenbacks cranked up, and the amp is in good condition, then you don't like that amp.
    I've had 2 Germinos and, IMO, Greg is the King of that kind of thing*
    gregc

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I'm confused...

Is it the "tone" of the amp that you are not digging, or is it the fact that there is not enough break-up and the amp is just "too clean"?

An old 50 watt plexi Marshall is a relatively "clean" sounding amp...especially by todays standards. Those amp's (and the Lead 55) need to be driven hard to get the goods. Even then it's not going to be an overly saturated, compressed, sustain. It's more about crunch and that "clean distortion" that's on the brink.

11. jw71

jw71 Member

In addition to my post above, I will say that I personally think that alot of people misinterpret the "plexi" sound. It is a lot cleaner than I think most people realize. A little recording trick I have learned is to record the amp relatively clean, but with some slight "hair" to it, then play it back on the recording with the level raised a little bit more than normal. It makes it sound absolutely huge. Typical early AC/DC and early Aerosmith. The only problem is that you really have to have the chops to make it sound good, of which I sometimes can lack, also!:p However, when we talk about Marshall clean, it is definitely different than Fender clean, and sounds pretty good all by itself. To beat a dead horse some more, it's got that "Brown Sound."

If you play around with the controls enough, and check how each way sounds recorded, I think you will probably come up with something you like. What you hear on the recording can be different than what you hear standing right next to the amp while playing. And don't forget that any studio album usually has a good bit of effects on it, including different types of reverb, delay, and all that other studio magic. If the Lead 55 does not grow on you, then maybe a JCM800 would be more to your liking. I know I plan on getting one sometime or another just for that more overdriven sound in addition to my Lead 55 now.

12. KLB

KLB Member

The tube set may need tweaking if these other suggestions don't work for you.

Specifically, you may prefer higher gain preamp tubes, and like the EL34 biased hotter for earlier breakup.

13. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

...I initially had a 2x12 with Govs with my Lead55, and those speakers didn't do it for me, they were too clean/flat/sterile unless the amp was cranked ungodly loud. Sold 'em and replaced with a couple of Greenbacks, and I love it. It's a big amp though and sounds pretty clean until about 4-5 on the vol knobs, at which point it's fairly loud. I use a bit of attenuation (Weber load dump) and usually hit it with a Varidrive, COT50, etc., unless I'm outside and can crank it a bit. It's extremely friendly to pedals though. Killer amp, probably not everyone's cup of tea but it's pretty much mine :p

14. JB907

JB907 Member

The settings on this amp areUsally run around 1 o-clock.I run it through two Govner speakers and through a air brake so I can handle the volume Treble on about 3 mids on 4 and bass about 11 and presence on about 2.I also use a OCD to give it the drive I need.

15. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

There's a reason all of Greg's combos and cabs come loaded with Greenbacks. I have tried all sorts of different speakers with the 4 Germino's I have owned and I always come back to Greenbacks. They really compliment the amps and breakup way earlier than alot of the more modern type speakers. Try that amp with some JBL's ala Duane Allman and you will be amazed at how much differently the amp reacts. You'll swear that the amp is screwed up! These amps need an inefficient speaker with a fairly dark character. My $.02.

P.S. Germino's are in no way ever going to sound like a Shiva/Rectifier/Deizel and if that is your idea of a "plexe" (sp:D) you are way off.

Scott

16. evhtone

evhtone Member

Try a clean boost in front of it if you aren't getting enough dirt. I had a Lead 55 and it was incredible with a boost in front of it. It was also incredible without it!

17. gmanrickyt

gmanrickyt Member

That Germino Lead 55 is a great amp. I had one of those and it just nailed the tone from one of my all time favorite amps which was a 50-watt Marshall MkII head acquired in Germany. But, I think the key to getting that real Marshall tone is the Greenback speakers.

Rick

18. jaz1629

jaz1629 Member

try turning ALL THE CONTROL KNOBS AS FOLLOWS, the treble,bass, presence.mid control to ten,crank vol to at least 8-12,THEN STAND BACK..I HAVE 4 GERMINO AMPS AND THEY ALL KILL.GREGG MAKES THE BEST MARSHALL CLONES IN THE UNIVERSE,PERIOD.jaz1629

19. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Run the amp thru Greenbacks. Also, the Germino is never going to have the amount of gain that the Shiva has on tap. If that's what you're looking, don't waste anymore of your time on it. Sell it and buy another Shiva.