Need help with ampless church setup

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by bluesking55, Apr 21, 2015.

1. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

I have always used tube amps at church.
    I have a chance to play at a church who have line 6 HD-something.. 1 guy was playing a LesPaul and leads sounded like bee's buzzing.

I have a nice pedal board. If I get a Blondie and put it last in the chain, will I get a respectable Fender tone to run into the board? Also does the blondie have the necc connections to run direct to a pa?

thanks in advance

2. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

Is a Blondie a Tech 21 Blonde? As far as connections, that's going to depend on the PA you are connecting to. Tech 21 Blonde has enough signal level to connect to a PA, but whether or not the PA can take a 1/4" input is PA specific. Also, depending on how far away the Blonde is from the PA, you may want to use a DI box to switch the 1/4" unbalanced output to a balanced XLR. You'll tend to get less signal degradation over long runs with a balanced signal.

As for the HD, it doesn't have to sound like bee's buzzing. You can set it up as just a fender twin or deluxe (like the blonde) sim and use your pedal board as you normally would, keeping the PA connections at the church the way they are. You'd be using the HD POD just like a Tech 21 Blonde and DI box (the POD has the balanced XLR outs).

3. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

I'm currently using the Tech 21 Character Blonde pedal on my pedal board going direct to the FOH. I'm pretty happy with how it's working out, better than I thought it would.

I have also used a POD X3 Live, POD HD500 and an 11 Rack before the setup I'm using now. Out of all of those my current setup is the best of all of them (for me).

See my sig below for my signal chain.

4. BigWave

BigWave Member

I run something similar to this setup. For me, the Blonde works a little better post dirt, pre-delay/mod.

I also use an HD500 when I need a wide range of radical changes. It can sound like buzzing bees but it doesn't have to. It does take more time to setup.

5. bluesking55

I will be on a rotation so I don't wanna use what they have and 'mess' up what they have saved.
    Thank you I was talking about tech 21 blonde but thinking I was thinking about the Fender mustang floor unit.

I was shocked kinda. dude had some expensive stuff and not a bad player but gezzzzz

6. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

I don't know much about the Fender Mustang floor unit, never looked at one to be honest. Good luck with whichever route you go.

Sounds like the other dude needs to do some tweaking on his Line 6 gear.

7. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Unfortunately many of the Line 6 HD models do the buzzing thing, it's one reason I stopped using a HD500 awhile back and started using an X3. However, with the very nice global EQ and Vintage amp pack models made available in the last few weeks, the HD is being used again. The new models don't buzz so badly and the EQ helps tailor the HD's tones to the PA and room.

In our church, whoever set the EQ on the mains must have served on a diesel sub in WWII as he has the upper mids and highs cranked really loud, and modelers do not respond well to large amounts of highs in the EQ. I have seen many churches in our area with excellent equipment set up by people with poor hearing or/and didn't know what they were doing. Lots of highs and bass, and the Line 6 HD series can sound poor through systems set up like that. I find I have to carefully tweak the HD tones so they can sound warm and detailed through this PA.

Another problem is that some wedges and PA speakers are "EQ'd for voice", which means lots of lows and highs and depressed mids. Sometimes a upper mid boost is added as well. Modelers can sound nasty through such speakers unless significant EQ is used.

I haven't used a Blondie, but do have a Zoom MS50G on my analog pedalboard, its Twin Reverb amp sims sounds very nice through our poorly EQ'd PA.

8. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

I've used a blonde plenty of times and it's fairly easy to get great tones with it. I've had an HD500 for nearly a year now, and I must say, If you take the time I think you'll find that you can get better tone with it than the Blonde. That is obviously a matter of opinion. I honestly think I'm getting the best tone I've ever had now that I properly dialed in my HD500. It took a lot of work and sticking with it.

9. bluesking55

does the zoom take od pedals well as well as dist pedals?

Really all I want is a Twin sim. to use my pedals with

Thanks guys

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  10. bluesking55

Wanna thank you all for the suggestions

11. ddewees

ddewees Supporting Member

Dropping in and plugging into a POD HD would be challenging and involve a little bit of luck that you could find (or adjust on the fly) a patch and fx bank that you would understand and like and would sound good. I feel pretty comfortable with the editor both on the unit and via computer. That would be tough to dial in a sound on someone else's POD

As others have said, owning a POD HD give you time to set up basic patches and then make adjustments.

I have both a POD HD and Tech 21 Liverpool and FlyRig 5. I also used to have a Blonde in the past. The Tech 21 pedals are much easier to dial in on the fly - the controls are more amp-like and you can see them all. Much of the POD's magic and good tones are found in the menus and understanding signal routing. You are still at the mercy of the sound tech and the pa settings with either option

12. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

We had the same situation at our church. We decided a couple of years ago to just buy a Fender Mustang III amp to use as a clean base. Now we know at least the base sound is going to sound decent instead of like buzzing bees. The Fender guys can set it as a clean Fender, the Marshall guys, the Matchless guys, the Vox guys, etc... Then we use our pedalboards in front of it. We even name the patches per person like "Dave's Clean Vox" etc... Works out wonderfully!

13. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

The Hd 500 can sound better than the Blonde, it's why I didn't keep my blonde.

That said, if it's not yours, and you don't really have time to learn it and program it, and it belongs to the church, just go with the Blonde at the end of your chain and be done with it. You'll be happy and sound good.

14. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Yes it does, the idea was to put the Zoom at the end of the pedalboard and use its Twin sim for the PA. I have a Zendrive clone and a Zoyo distortion (the one similar to an OCD) for the dirt, they did not overdrive the Twin model. I found this rig worked well plugged directly into the PA with no EQ tweaking at all, where I could never get the HD EQ'd properly (prior to the latest upgrade with the Global EQ). But personally I am not a big fan of distortion pedals, would rather have a good sounding amp sim.

I considered one of the Tech 21 pedals before buying the Zoom, but I wanted reverb and did not want to spend the extra money and pedalboard room for say a Blonde and an additional reverb pedal. The Zoom is able to do not only reverb and a Twin sim, but lots of other stuff as well. It's far cheaper too. But I'm sure in absolute tonal terms the Blonde sounds better than the Zoom.

15. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

If you have the option of having your amp at least there, two of my good buddies just started using Mesa's new cab clones with their amps (AC15's, Devilles, AC20's, BadCat Fender territory). They are just blown away with them! So much so, they both agreed that given the option to run the amps hot and mic them in another situation, they'd choose the cab clones. They are consistent EVERY time. I'm really looking forward to hearing them in person myself (I modded 3 AC15's for one of them, paired with the clones, he's blown away). Anyways, look into it. If you're looking for easy and light, through a Liverpool or Blonde into the mix and be done with it, I personally never liked those pedals direct. They just didn't do it for me.

Hope that helps! OH, I also hear the Strymon Bigsky cab sim is SICK. That would be something to check into as well.

16. halfdriven

halfdriven Member

I am in the same boat as the OP. I have been using the Joyo AC Tone, it is not bad but certainly not an amp. The building we are in will never accommodate amps so I pulled the trigger and got an Eleven Rack. I have seen it used in this situation with great results.

17. CowHead

CowHead Member

I'm using the Pod HD500x too (with IEMs and personal mixer), and yes, it takes quite abit of tweaking before getting it to sound right. But once you've dialed it in, it'll do almost everything you need. I play 2 services back-to-back at different halls, and am really thankful for the convenience it brings. Setting up, sound-checking, and packing up twice in a row... It can be a messy rush, especially if the earlier service ends late.

This guy in the video below has a tutorial on how to remove the fizz from sound of the amp models. It's in part 2 or 3, I think.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QljSknytt4