Need help with BDF (or any other drum plug-in)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Berlin Chris, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Hi,

ok, BDF sounds great, it works great with Logic (which is the program I use) but: Let´s say I want to have kickdrum, snare and every tom on a different channel in my main application in order to process the signals independently with compressors/gates/eq or effects.
    What I do at the moment is 1)record my drum parts 2)copy the track 3)delete all data from the kickdrumtrack except kick 4)do the same procedure again for the snare part and so on.

This doesn´t seem to be very efficient. So my questions are: Am I missing something here? Does BDF have some kind of routing option I didn´t find so far? What´s the quickest and most efficient way to get separate signals?

Thanks
    Christof

2. joseph

joseph Member

Not sure if that's a Logic issue (I only know Cubase SX3) or BFD, but you might check with the guys who actually build and program BFD:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

In Cubase (and I suspect in other DAWs), if I select "BFD stereo" in the VST window, BFD gives me two tracks/channels in the mixer. If I select "BFD groups" it gives around 4 tracks (toms, snare, kick, hi-hat or similar). If I select "BFD ALL" I get like 10 tracks, ie, the individual drumset components.
    For each and every track in any of the above, I can EQ/process each track seperately just like a vocal or guitar part.
    Like I said, that's with Cubase SX3, I'm ignorant of Logic (no pun intended but it's probably true anyway :rolleyes: .

3. elambo

elambo Member

Works like that for ProTools also. I'd guess that there's some version of that (the "ALL" mode). I don't know for sure, but I'm sure it would be called ALL if it was possible.

BTW - when mixing with a separate track for each instrument, BFD is INCREDIBLE! It's just like mixing the real-deal and the final result will be the same. You're finally able to mix a MIDI drum track that sounds COMPLETELY legit. Sorry drummers...

I have a template of all the broken out BFD tracks with an average set of appropriate plugins on each track, along with the proper subs, and I simply import those template tracks whenever I'm dealing with BFD in a new session. It always needs tweaking, but it's a quick place to start and gives the ultimate flexibility.

Also, the new feature that allows bleed into certain tracks is fantastic. You're able to bleed other mics into the kick and snare mics which helps add a decent amount of realism.

4. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

My way in PT LE is a pain in the ass. I use BFD rewired, set up aux trax for monitoring (I used to have to bounce drums in 2 passes, now we have 32 auxes YAY!) use 2 midi tracks, one for kick, snare, and toms, one for hi-hat and cymbals, and record midi with an Oxygen 8 (little 25 key controller). After I've tweaked all the dots in, I set the out-puts of those aux tracks to like-named audio tracks inputs, and record enable those audio tracks and only those tracks, press record, and let PT and BFD turn my midi crap into audio, so I can take BFD back out of the equation, and save processing power. I'm sure there's probably some way to use the "instrument tracks" for this now, but I haven't relly gone all out figuring out what's new in PT 7.
    I remember reading the instructions when I bought BFD and it seemed there would be an easier way to do this in every other program besides ProTools. If I remember correctly, it's explained there for Logic, Cubase, et al, but if not, try the Fxpansion website user forum. Those guys know what the hell they're doing, and probably a few of them don't go through their buttholes to find their elbows.

5. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Chris,

I've got the same setup as you and you are, indeed taking the hard route to do what you want to do.

Joseph is absolutely correct. You need to select one of the multiple output instances of the application when you instantiate it on your audio instrument track. Not to be the "read the manual" type response, but it could be a lot to type, so Page 63 clearly outlines how to set it up. If you need help, email me or give me a call and I'll gladly walk you through it 310.804.2094

The manual is here in case you misplaced it:
    http://www.fxpansion1.com/fxstore/BFD Manual.pdf

Rick

6. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Thanks guys,

guess I should have had a closer look into the manual.

Note to self: Manuals are there for a good reason.....

Christof

7. joseph

joseph Member

You'll probably need to spend as much (or more) time with the Logic Manual as the FX expansion BFD manual...I know I did with cubase.

It's great that gomez has the same setup and is willing to help, someone who has been thru it can tell you steps to take, which aren't mentioned in the manuals, but which on my own were taking not hours but days to figure out.
    I think the software guys unintentionally leave out some steps which to them are 'obvious' but which are 3 miles over the head of ...well, me for sure!
    The hardest manuals to suss out are the German guys at RME....great products, but true German scientists!