Need help with bridge for Yamaha SA2200

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OBHaug, Mar 20, 2015.

1. OBHaug

OBHaug Member

I am considering getting a TonePros locking bridge for my new Yamaha SA2200. The main reason is that I want to be able to remove all the strings without having to intonate the guitar all over again because of the lose bridge. It is my first guitar with a T-O-M system so I hope to get help with some issues.

I have not been able to find detailed info about the bridge and tailpiece on the SA2200 anywhere. It turns out that they are Gotoh and as I understand the bridge is Nashville-type. I am pretty sure that it is a Gotoh GE103B and I am guessing that the posts are screwed straight into the wood of the centerblock since there seem to be no bushings.

I am thinking that I can install the TonePros bridge on the existing Gotoh posts and thumb wheels and lock it in place. The TonePros bridge that seems to fit is the T3BP. The holes for the posts seem to fit the M4-sized posts.

My concern is if the distance between the posts will fit the TonePros T3BP. The distance between the holes for the posts on the Gotoh bridge is 74 mm. For the TonePros bridge I have found measurements ranging from 73.99 mm to 74.5 mm.

Does anyone know for sure if it will fit? And if so, is it a good idea?

And also; do you think that I will get the benefit of the improved sustain that TonePros claim to have with this simple arrangement?

And finally (if you haven't fallen asleep yet) there's the question about radius:

The Yamaha SA2200 has a fretboard radius of 13 3/4" (350 mm). I am pretty sure that the bridge has a radius of 12". Still the strings, of course, each have a perfect height from the fretboard. Does this make sense?

2. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

How is the bridge loose? The Yamaha SA 2200 is a high quality guitar and the Gotoh bridge is a good piece also.

3. OBHaug

OBHaug Member

It is actually not a question about quality.
    It is just that when you remove all the strings to clean the guitar properly the folowing happens:

Since there is no tension on the bridge from the strings there is nothing to hold it in place. Since there is some slack between the bridge and the posts that it is sitting on, it will be maybe a fraction of a mm askew when the strings are back on; enough to change the intonation.

Therefore I would like a bridge that can be locked in place like the TonePros Locking Bridge.

4. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

I think you are looking for a solution to a perceived problem. Set your intonation, loosen your strings, wiggle the bridge and return your strings to tune and check your intonation.

I'll bet if there is a change, it will not be measurable.

5. Mit

Mit Member

I have both the ge103b and the t3bp and they are the same bridges so interchangeable ( the tonepros must be made by gotoh). Only difference is the two locking screws on the tonepros and that it says "tonepros" on the bottom.

On my ibanez I did what the call the "mapleflame mod" where I made long ss steel posts that screw down into the center block. I left the posts a bit higher above the bridge and lock it in place with a little nut. Maybe not the prettiest but I don't care, it definately improved bridge stability (tuning and intonation).

For sustain or tone abm from germany recommend not locking it, they did a test.

6. OBHaug

OBHaug Member

You are right, "onemoretime". I have not actually experienced an intonation problem.

I changed the strings when I got the guitar (about one week ago) but I had not checked the intonation before that.

I did react to the bridge being somewhat wiggly and I have read that this created an intonation issue, although I might have read it in a TonePros commercial ad. This, combined with statements about bell-like notes and never-ending-sustain backed up by a long list of profiled guitarist, made me sure that I needed a locking system for this kind of bridge.

There you go. A victim of Public Relations.

Thanks anyway.

7. Mit

Mit Member

I'm measuring about 74mm or indeed 74,5mm on those bridges.

8. Mit

Mit Member

Oh, ok nevermind.

9. OBHaug

OBHaug Member

Thanks, Mit.

Since I am going for a little thicker strings, I will remove the bridge when changing them. If I do not have an intonation problem afterwards, I do not think it is worth changing to TonePros.

10. OBHaug

OBHaug Member

I forgot to ask you if you experience intonation issues with the Gotoh GE103B.

And about the test from ABM; did they compare it to other bridges and say anything about better sustain or sound in TonePros?

11. Mit

Mit Member

No, my intonation issues were solved by making long posts that connect to the center block so there was no more wobble, And maybe locking it with the nuts helped as well.
    The gotoh bridge is fine.

The abm test was something they did on their own bridges. I have no more info about that, I think I got it from an e-mail exchange with them or one of their catalogues or newsletters. This is what I remember: they made a locking version of their bridge but decided not to take it further because of detrimental effects on..(tone? Sustain?).

12. OBHaug

OBHaug Member

Thanks again Mit.

13. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

14. Blazorge

Blazorge Member

If I change all the strings I just put small pieces of scotch tape or gaff tape on the thumb wheels to keep the bridge in place so that nothing moves. Easy on..easy off.

15. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

There's this new fangled stuff called "tape" that miraculously holds things in place. Equally miraculous, it costs about 1/10th of what a new bridge does.