need help with doubleneck wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Funkwire, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Funkwire

Funkwire Member

Here's my problem:

I recently picked up a 1996 Epiphone G-1275. It's their version of the Gibson EDS-1275, AKA the Jimmy Page doubleneck...or, according to your musical tastes, the Don Felder doubleneck or John McLaughlin doubleneck.

Before I got the guitar, the pups on the 6-string side were replaced with Gibson 490s, and they sound great. The 12-string side still has the stock Epi pups, and they sound...not so great. Bland and lifeless.

I'm looking at some different pickups to throw in there. I know for sure that I want to have the option of splitting the coils on the 12-string pups. I don't care so much about splitting the coils on the 6-string...and anyway, the Gibson pups came out of a Faded SG, so they are only 2-wire conductor (the 490s that are sold as pickups alone are 4-wire, not the ones installed in Gibson guitars).

So here's where it gets sticky: the only wiring diagram I've been able to find is for the Gibson EDS-1275:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/EDS-1275sch.pdf

This differs from the Epi because the Gibson has one pickup selector switch for both necks. The Epi has two switches, one for each neck. The Gibson has the pickups wired to all 4 pots. On the Epi, the upper two pots are for the 12-string pups, the lower pots are for the 6-string pups.

I assume I should be able to get coil splitting by installing a push/pull pot for the 12-string tone pot. I'm just not sure how to adapt the wiring in the Gibson diagram. This is much more involved than anything I've tried before. I'd like to do the wiring myself AND keep what little sanity I have left.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Hargrett

Hargrett Member

Unless I'm misunderstanding and you really want to rewire the whole thing, I'd forget about the Gibson schematic and the associated stress. If the guitar (wiring) is functioning correctly now, and you're not going to change the six-string side, wouldn't it work to note where the Epi pups' hots and grounds are soldered, change out the pot(s) for push-pull, and install the new pups using their wiring diagram for coil-tap part of it, and soldering their hots and grounds to the original Epi hot and ground connection points? Also, if you're going to tap both 12-stg pups, won't you need to install two switched pots? Be sure to note all the original connections to the original pot(s) before unsoldering them!
    Hope this helps... good luck!

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

There's no reason you can't hook up the splits on 2 pickups to 1 push-pull pot, no matter how many volume pots you're using in the circuit.

--chiba

4. Hargrett

Hargrett Member

Hi, Folks! I guess the exceptions to using one pull-pot switch to "tap" two pickups would be if you wanted independent control of the pickup taps, or if you wanted to do full "series & parallel" coil switching, correct? In either of those cases, you'd need two pull-pots, wouldn't you?

5. Funkwire

Funkwire Member

Since only 1 set of the volume and tone pots control the 12-string neck, I think I pretty much have to forgo independent splitting. Which is fine...this is complicated enough already.

6. Hargrett

Hargrett Member

Actually, to me that "one set of controls" layout sounds perfect for independent splitting, since the push-pots can be wired as either volume or tone.
    Although changing out both pots instead of just changing one does make it a little more complicated, the coil-tap (or series-parallel) wiring part of it would pretty much just be duplication. All the best!