Need help with first gigging guitar amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PitchShifter, Jul 20, 2008.

1. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

I know nothing about amps and i need help in working out what amp I should be looking at.

Up until this point I've just been using a Line6 pod and small practice amps to write songs with my mate. We're now in a situation where we'll be playing a variety of small pub gigs.

On the Line6 I've just been using the Mesa Boogie Mark IIc & the Fender blackface Twin Reverb. Both these amps are way out of my price range, so I want to know what affordable alternatives there are that produce a similar sound.
    Or is that too vague a question? I play mainly clean with lots or stomp boxes, and love the lead channel onthe Mesa.

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

You're probably going to get a load of responses here that suggest going out and buying a valve amp that you probably can't afford. But, if you don't want to spend a load of cash look into something like a Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube. It's 80 watts, solid state, sounds really sweet and is way loud enough for gigs. In fact, you can get just about every type of tone out of these amps from Fender-like cleans to moderate rock crunch and very high gain tones that will get you into Mesa territories. Don't worry about it being solid state - Peavey really got the sound right on these amps they are quite valve-like in terms of tone; definitely better than some hybrids I've played through. Being a 1 x 12' combo it's also pretty easy to transport around. In addition they take stompboxes well. Good luck.

3. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I think a Fender Deluxe either silverface or a used Reissue would be a nice gig amp.

4. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Yeah, I really disagree with wildschwein and I really agree with squeally dan. Your sound is only going to be as good as the weakest link in the chain. A Deluxe Reverb is pretty much the de rigeur amp for smaller clubs - they don't call it the King of Clubs for nothing - and used reissues can usually be picked up for 500-600. Sure that's not pocket change, but it beats the hell out of spending half the money and sounding 1/10 as good. Another good option if you're really on a tight budget would be a Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues. Used they're even cheaper than the DRRI and they're good-sounding, versatile amps.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The Bandit would do very nicely and have more tonal range than the DR.
    Move your lead tone to stompboxes and nearly anything that sounds good clean will work fine... MANY amps.

6. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

Cheers for the responses.

I was looking at the Fender vintage re-issues. The Fender model on the Pod is a little thin and brittle sounding compared to the richer, fatter smooth tone of the mesa. Are the proper Fender amps the same? I know you can dial out any icepicky harshness, but if the sound is thin, that's a problem.

7. Vilhelm JS Bach

Vilhelm JS Bach Member

Peavey Valveking is a great amp

8. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

You'd probably be much better served doing some fantasy amp shopping and just playing them yourself. That's the easiest way to tell if something's going to do what you want it to or not.

9. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

+1 on the Valve King.

This amp is by far the best "Bang for the Buck" you'll find.

50 watts is more than enough, and the amp sounds great at any volume. You'll have to buy a footswitch (25 bucks tops), but with it you can access the clean AND overdriven channels for gigging, as well as a lead boost on the overdrive channel.

The clean is very reminiscent of Mesa cleans, a bit cleaner and more scooped than Fender cleans and the Overdrive is pure old-school Marshall style stuff. The Lead boost is perfect for solos.

I have use all the great vintage stuff, the boutique stuff and all the stuff in between, and, while I won't try to infer that the Valve King is anywhere near that kind of quality, it is a perfect club gigging amp with two great sounding channels, and it's made to withstand the rigors of load/unload/gig cycles and it's under $500 new. You can't beat it.

10. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

Noobie question...

What's the actual difference between the various Fender reissue models: Super Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb, and Reverb???

11. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

A lot. For starters:

Deluxe Reverb = 22W, one 12 inch speaker (lighter weight amp, breaks up earlier than the others)

Twin Reverb = 65W, two 12 inch spearkers (heavy amp, powerful with not a lot of natural overdrive. good amp for those who want loud clean headroom.)

Super Reverb = 40W, four 10 inch speakers (heavy amp, powerful, but has a sweet natural overdrive. You wouldn't really be able to turn this up past 3 in a club or bar)

:)

12. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

One other thing, please do not judge any of the amps you are considering by their POD "settings". I own a POD and can tell you that it's not a fair or accurate representation of the amps in real life.

Don't get me wrong, PODs are cool. But shopping for actual amps is different. Plus trying amps in person, even ones you can't afford, will help you decide what is really best for you.

:)

13. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

If you like your POD, why not just use that? Get yourself a Crate PowerBlock for $100 used, and a stereo 2x12 cab, and you're golden.

14. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

Hi ReddRanger, I don't intend to judge the actual sound of the real amps by the Pod settings. More that i've played around with all amp settings on my Pod and found the Mesa model by far the best sounding for what I want. Now that I'm looking to get a proper amp to start gigging, I'm after something that can produce a similarwarm rich (not muffled) clean sound that matches what I've been using on the Pod.

I hear Fender mentioned a lot, but they are more a shimmering clean, I'm lead to believe. There's tonnes of amps out there, and there's limited choice in my local guitar shop, so needed a few models to narrow the search.

I don't actually want to use the Pod either, as I don't think it's good enough overall for anything beyond the bedroom.

oops...thanks for the info on the different models too!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  15. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Hmm...what do they have in your local guitar shop? Have you had a chance to play any of them with your guitar? If so what were your thoughts?

I know you said you knew nothing about amps, but is this your first real amp purchase ever?

16. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

People always forget to ask this question. WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DO YOU PLAY?

If you like the sound of a Mesa, you are going to need a mesa to be happy. Just be careful they have quite a few different models out there. Mesa's were started by modding Fender amps too btw.

Let us know what kinda music you play, and we can be much more helpful.

dk

17. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

+1 on the bandit 112. they got for as little as $125 on craigslist, and are waaaay loud enough. light and dependable with a very very clean and a very very dirty. two channels with separate eq's an reverb!
    i think the bandit 112 is exactly what you're looking for. try one out at a music store and see what you think, then hit craigslist and pick one up for nothin!

18. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

Thanks for all the responses, I've been madly looking things up!

Music is Alternative Rock (Interpol, Cure, Joy Division, Editors, Doves) with a lot of shoegazer dense reverb/chorus effects thrown in.

The Bandit sounds intriguing. I've also come across the Fender FM212R, but info on them seems hard to find. It's also solid state.

19. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

whats your budget? maybe a used mesa express? im not too familiar with its similarity to other mesas though

20. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

I'd like to keep it under $800 (say what you can get for $500 US).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008