Need help with girlie rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rickeb1, Apr 3, 2008.

1. rickeb1

rickeb1 Member

Ok, at the risk of some embarrassment, I could really use some help with something that has been driving me crazy. Take a listen to this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-V8HBs3j5w

Assume for the sake of argument that I like the tones he is getting – thick, crunchy and harmonic. He is using a PSA-1 preamp through a Peavey 2x12 Transtube amplifier. I have a PSA-1 through a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp into an EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 cab. I would think that I could get similar if not better tones than what I hear in this video, but my tones sound nothing like it. It is most noticeable to me when he uses preset #8, the VanHalen setting. His sounds chunky and harmonic, and mine sounds very weak in comparison with very little harmonics.

Since it seems that all other things are relatively equal, the only real difference I can see is the guitar (I am assuming that the ME50 is only being used for reverb/delay, but perhaps some gain is being employed as well?). I have an old Carvin with a Suhr DSH+ in the bridge, while the guy in the video has a Schecter with EMGs. Is it the EMGs? Is it the Schecter? Is it the shoes (or the pajamas)? My 50/50 probably could use some new tubes, but could that make all the difference?

I know this is a very low-end set-up, but it is making me crazy, so I would really appreciate any thoughts you may have as to why my setup sounds so much weaker than this video when I have basically the same gear. Thanks!

2. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Check out the Line6 Tone Core Uber Metal pedal, it'll get you all the crunch you want, or look into a MI Audio Crunch Box.

TheGrooveking

3. chaz

chaz Member

Could be a pedal used or who knows what lurks beneath his control knobs? EMG has an SPC control that bumps up the mids and gain, as well as a some other specialized controls. Had a Tele with the SPC that could make their single coil neck pu sound like a good humbucker.

4. doctord02

doctord02 Member

The Transtubes have some funky eq stuff going on, I dont think I'd compare your power amp with his combo, your setup is more neutral. The Sonic Maximiser also fattens the sound up substantially, you dont mention running one of those.

Kinda hard to say. Maybe its the pajamas...

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I suspect the ME50 has some dirt running. I have a PSA-1 also, check my signature.

TheGrooveking

6. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

OOPS. Wrong kind of rack.:jo