Need help with identifying what I am looking at. 2x12 cab wiring (with picture!)

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Smgbad, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

So I got a used 2x12 cab today with the wiring already in place but was expecting to see only 1 jack on the back. There are two and it is wired as such. What am I looking at Ohm-wise and functionality-wise on each iof those two jacks? Thanks!

(Sorry ahead of time for the drawing I made... Not the best in the world)

[​IMG]

2. WaltC

WaltC Member

that's a fairly standard 8-0hm cab wiring. The two 16 ohm speaker are wired in parallel resulting in an 8-ohm cab. The "extra" jack allows other cabs to be daisy-chained (in parallel) to add extra speakers, but keep in mind that the added speakers (added in parallel) will further reduce the ohm load on the amp. Whatever you do *don't* plug two amps into the same cab, that can seriously damage one or both of the amps over time.

3. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

So if I have my amp head going into the 8 ohm 212 cab and out from the 212 into an 8 ohm 412 cab, I would need to set the amp head for 4 Ohms?

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Correct.
    And if that's not loud enough I'd be surprised... ;)