Need help with interface

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by garage-s, Mar 9, 2015.

1. garage-s

garage-s Member

I know it is been talked about alot, and I did read a few of those threads, but please forgive my stupidity, my brain hurts everytime I read them, so here is my question, I need a interface that will allow me to use with amps with or without effect loop, here is my chain goes:

guitar >

FuzzProbe
    CAE Wah
    SickAs
    Gnarly
    Sovereign
    Ernieball vpjr > Empress Buffer+ ( Guitar in )

Empress Buffer+ ( Return ) >
    Organizer
    Mobius
    Timeline
    Bluesky
    DittoX2
    Empress Buffer+ ( Send )

Please help, please explain these to me like I am a 6 years old, please an thank you gear heads.

2. garage-s

garage-s Member

3. Meris

Meris Supporting Member

Hi there!

Not sure if I understand what you mean by "interface." Can you please explain further? I'll be glad to help out!

-terry

4. garage-s

garage-s Member

Thanks Terry, I am looking for a patchbay/Junction box/A/B box of some sort which will allow me to wire all my pedals up, and when I need to use my BluesJr, everything will just go in the front, but when I use my JVM or OR50, I can have my delay/reverb/looper in the effect, without rewiring, hope it make sense??:crazy

5. Meris

Meris Supporting Member

Ah, now I understand better! thanks. One of the coolest new pedal switchers looks like the new Boss ES-8.
    I'm not sure how you'd handle switching between different amps without swapping at least a few cables (unless you're using a custom switch box). You're going to want an isolated output power supply as well (possibly something from Voodoo lab).

hope that helps!

-terry

6. reade

reade Member

I hope this might help. I wired up this board using what's sometimes referred to the four cable method. (Uses 4 cables, duh) The signal path is guitar into IN on patch bay, to tuner and boost, then OUT to the front of the amp. Then from the SEND on the effects loop into the patch bay feeding the chorus, delay and reverb the. Going to the out on the patch bay to the RETURN on the back of the amp.

[​IMG]

The patch bay couldn't be simpler. It's a box with eight jacks on it wired into four pairs. They run straight through. I used plain wire to make the jumpers and there is no buffer, no high tech ticks, just wire.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  7. Meris

Meris Supporting Member

Right, I suppose you could expand on this by wiring up a switch to move the post effects pre when you're not using the amp(s) with the effects loop.

-terry

8. reade

reade Member

My plan when using the board with an amp without an effects loop is to use a simple patch cable from the OUT on the patch bay to the SEND input then go from the RETURN to the front of the amp. The path would be tuner>boosts>chorus>delay>reverb> amp. You could wire up a switch but a patch cable is so much easier.

9. Meris

Meris Supporting Member

for sure :aok

-terry

10. reade

reade Member

Does this mean my design is engineer approved? ;)

That mic pre of your's looks killer by the way.

11. garage-s

garage-s Member

thanks guys!!

I read it then try to apply it on my board..........

Brain hurts again lol!!!!!!!

I still don't understand:(

I guess I'm hopeless ........

12. reade

reade Member

You'll get it. Just think it through. What you are doing is making two separate effects paths. Make them separate as in apart from each other on the floor. When you get them working like you want then combine them on the same board. They are still separate just much closer together.

13. Meris

Meris Supporting Member

Thanks Reade! :)

-terry

14. garage-s

garage-s Member

A follow up, jnepo1 built me a box, very neat and clean, very reasonable priced as well, thanks a lot for your patient with me, you're the man :dude

[​IMG]