Need help with live recording idea

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by flyingvees, Mar 25, 2008.

1. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Hey guys,
    I work on Beale st here in Memphis alot. I am toying with the idea of being able to record say our first set, quick mix down and dupe it for sale by the end of the night. I would hire someone to do sound and all of course. Just wondering if there is a mobile device that would be good for this like a stand alone unit with a burner then buy a two or three cd duper. Would like to hear your suggestions as I really know nothing about recording...

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

There are a ton of units that will do that.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

Alesis HD24-XR.

But, if you're planning on doing it that quick, I'd just do a 2-mix to a laptop and sell that. That way, you'd be done by the time you finished you're set. Get a Finalizer or something to master it on the fly and be done with it.

Loudboy

4. planetal

planetal Member

Your only real limit on the standalone/fully contained units are the number of tracks you can record at the same time.. The Korg D3200 will do 12 (@24bit). Most of the others will only do 8 or less. I have the Korg and it works quite well, although I prefer to use better mic preamps especially on the vocals. If you're being fed Direct outs from the FOH board, then whatever preamps are on that board will be what your using.

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Honestly, the idea of mixing and mastering a multitracked full set of live music and selling by the end of the night is not feasible. Simply too time consuming.

Direct 2-trk outs from board, plus a couple ambient mics (or just a stereo mic'd live capture) to an Alesis Masterlink is, by far, the fastest way you could do it.

http://www.alesis.com/masterlink

The rackmountable Masterlink records directly to it's built-in hard drive and also has a CDR. It's a very sturdy, professional unit for around $750-800. It also has built in DSP to smooth out and finalize the recording, and editing features that allow you to top and tail it to cut out dead air. You can also set track points on the fly, which would GREATLY reduce the time needed to get a finished CD. Up to 30 hours of 2-trk recording out of the box.

Buy that and a Microboards (or equivalent) duplicator.

Fastest way to do what you want to do.

Good luck!

:dude

6. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Thanks guys these are some great suggestions...