Need help with my 4-10 cab speaker selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fjam82, Feb 10, 2008.

1. fjam82

fjam82 Member

Right now I'm using 2 celestion g10's and 2 eminence lil buddy's (LB) in my 4-10 open back bassman copy cabinet. This is my first time ever using 10" speakers, so I need a little help with this.

I find the sound very muddy and it has too much bass. The cleans are nice and warm, but it sounds horrible and too dark when it breaks up. I know the g10's are supposed to be bright and the LB were darker. I thought the 2 would make a nice mix, but it seems as though the LB are making it too dark. What would you reccomend as a replacement for the lil buddies?

Would 2 more g10's brighten it up? Any other suggestions to replace the lil buddies? I tried using my maz jr 1-12 combo into this cab and it sounded bad, the celestion in the maz sounded a lot better, brighter, more defined and tighter...

thanks

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

First, split the 4 into 2 like pairs and try them that way (as 2-10's) so you know exactly what you are dealing with. Add 2 g10's if you love that tone.

3. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I have Alinco jensens in mine and they are bright but not icepick bright, with good round mids and lows.

4. HHB

HHB Member

Kendrick black frames

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

What kind of amp is it? Is it a bassman amp copy as well as a bassman cab copy?

I've got 4 Jensen C10Qs in my Ampeg VT-40 open-back cab copy; I tried removing a pair and putting little buddies in there and loved it. I've tried the Celestion G10s in there too...really didn't care for those myself. Way too midrangey IMO.

6. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

I have two Weber 10F125's in my Fender Deluxe Reverb (different baffle) and they sound great. Many here go with the Webers - try a pair, maybe the ceramic "F" and then if you like those, then try a pair of "A's". No problem in reselling those. Many go with the Ragin' Cagin' (haven't tried those); and then there are the Jensen Neo 10's. Just got a pair and need to break them in. At first blush they sound good and are light, light and light! You can lift them by the magnet with just three fingers.

7. RACKDOCTOR

RACKDOCTOR Member

+1 on the Kendrick. One of the best 10's around is the Kendrick Black Frame. Amazing breakup and compression with a bell like top end.

David

8. Category 5

Category 5 Member

depends on the amp and the ohms. if your after classic old school tone, then 4 eminence legend 1028 alnico's at 8 ohms series-parallel are great(140 watts). We like the jenson neo's as well - that's 400 watts and covers alot of ground-very neutral speaker. Rajun cajuns are loud and bright.

I've got g10's in a Marshall closed back cab and its dark-so I think they might not be adding what you think to the mix. Separate and hear them first was a good suggestion.

DonR

9. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Im going to try 2 weber 10A125's and two Kendrick Black Frames in a x pattern and see what happens! Good idea?

10. TDavis

TDavis Member

Exactly what I was going to suggest! :aok