NEED HELP with my Bugera

ryanhousenga

I was jamming out with my brother and all of a sudden I smell smoke so I checked on my pedals to make sure they were ok. Then I end up at a venue playing (my church) and my amp sounds awful! I tried to EQ it but I realized the smoke smell from a week or so earlier. I think it may be the capacitor fuse/internal fuse or a tube?? Don't know much about this stuff. Comments and advise appreciated.

demea26

Could be a blown tube and/or fuse. Whats the model of the amp?

I've had several blown tubes and fuses act very similarly

Honk

Were they not infamous for their caps exploding? Especially following temperature changes. i.e. 95º outside, wheeled into 72º house, power on, bang.

ryanhousenga

I have the Bugera v55 hd and matching cab. And I'm not totally savvy on all this amp stuff but when you say "cap" you mean capacitor right?

And as far as temp...it had been a couple days since I had brought it from outside to inside. So I wouldnt think that it could be that but on the other had I have no clue so as far as I'm concerned it could be anything

XmasTree

the best thing to do is look up and call guitar shops/amplifier repair persons in your area
while on the phone, tell them what you've experienced for a price quote to have it looked at

try to find someone RELIABLE (research the person/shop)

it might be something really easy to fix - but you have to know what you're doing.

good luck
start lookin' .... callin'

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
My V55HD went up in a puff of smoke too. Is it still under warranty, or better yet returnable?

ryanhousenga

I bought it used so no warranty! :/ BUT I was thinking about taking it apart myself (even though I have no clue what I am doing) because if it is just a fuse I can replace it I figure..Regardless I can at least get a better look at what is inside the amp and better asses what is going on inside. I really haven't had any issues with it since I bought it about a year ago so I guess these are just standard issues (I hope!!)

XmasTree

dude, you can get zapped really bad by touching the insides of an amp
i suggest NOT touching the inside of the amp
especially since you admit having no idea what you are doing

even experienced guys get zapped by the capacitors (which hold juice long after the amp's been unplugged)

i might have just saved your life.......

:munch

...yep

teemuk

Don't "know much about this stuff" -> A trained repairman will.

I was going to tip off with a few suggestions about common problems in some early Bugera amps. Then I saw this:

"I have no clue what I am doing"

Then DON'T DO, take it to someone who has. End of story.

/thread

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I think I'd just write it off as a loss. For the price of what he paid used plus the cost of a couple of hours of bench time at the shop, he'll have as much into it as if he'd bought it new. I'm not sure a used Bugera that's prone to putting out smoke is worth the investment.

primerib

if you love it enough, pay a tech to go through it, but chances are it's not worth the repair $$$. a lot of Bugera's have reliability problems.

I think it is worth it to look inside, but don't touch anything. Generally fuses don't smell like smoke when they go. If there are a lot of smoked parts then I would agree to just trash it. One or 2 bad resistors or caps, get it fixed for sure. Never bad to be able to take an amp to a tech and say " I looked inside and saw only 1 fried X". Help eliminate the license to steal phenomenon if the tech is not an up and up guy.

ryanhousenga

HAHAHA I won't touch a thing!! I just need to see if its a fuse or something more serious and as far as just trashing it idk if i can do that. I really dont have the money to fix it (in shop) and I def dont have the money to buy new amp!! (good suggestions on cheap tube amps that still sound good?) And its not the ace Frehley model srry to disappoint..

Did I mention that it still works and when I say works it still makes noise its just that the level of tone has decreased immensely. It just sounds really muddy now and I dont want to keep playing it because I fear I might further damage the insides...

And TEEMUK I would be open to hearing your tips and pointers..I have already done some internet research and youtube videos to see how to take it apart.

The main problem I have with all this is just that I do not have a backup amp and I really need it repaired by Sunday! ANyways sorry for the novel I just wrote and with the new given information maybe someone knows more about the problem?! Optimistic thinking. Cheers

Stratobuc

Sorry to hear about your problem. Unfortunately, with Behringer gear - you DO get what you pay for.....

Good luck.

XmasTree

I'm extremely happy I got a good one. (V22)
ive played it almost every day for more than 2 years
i'm on my 4th set of power tubes
my V22 is as good as anything and it has become my favorite amp

with that being said, there are a lot of Bugera amps that have problems. A lot.
...which sucks cause they are cool amps. the 6260 is awesome too.
I got lucky and got a good one, i guess.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Unfortunately, with Behringer gear - you DO get what you pay for.....

Good luck.

James M-G

Hi Ryan!

Sorry to hear about your Bugera. If the amp still powers up and puts out a decent amount of volume, that is typically not consistent with a blown fuse. As others have said, caps are a possibility, as are tubes. Before you attempt to open up your amp (at your own risk!) I would check out your power tubes for red-plating, scorch marks, etc.

If you don't have a tube amp guy you like going to, Wizard Electronics in Atlanta is our authorized service center.

You can also feel free to contact us at care(at)music-group.com

Take care!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom