Need help with my Les Paul neck problem

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SFT, Sep 10, 2006.

1. SFT

SFT Member

As you can see in the pics, where the frets meet the binding on the high E side of the fretboard, there is a tiny gap. This kills the notes on the E string if the string is bent toward the edge. I brought it in to a Guitar Center tech and all he did was put some epoxy/super glue in the gaps (not to mention charge me an extra $20). That worked (sorta) for a few months, but as you can see at the 10th fret, there's a big chunk missing and the super glue has already worn off.
    http://static.flickr.com/88/239376835_3373fba17a.jpg?v=0
    http://static.flickr.com/79/239376862_3a4befb781.jpg?v=0

Is there a way that this neck can be fixed "right?" If so, how?
    p.s. why aren't my images showing up in this post?

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Ist off..... DON'T TAKE ANY INSTRUMENT TO GC for repairs!!!!!
    That's a pretty common prblem with LP Customs. Find a GOOD guitar tech in your area....or if it's still under warranty send it back to Gibson... but be prepared if you send it to Gibson for a long wait..

GAWD those chatter marks and fretwork on 3K Gibson's just make me wanna PUKE!:BITCH .... GOOD LUCK!

3. SFT

SFT Member

lol..well the guitar 18 years old, so I don't think the warranty is an option. :p

what do you mean by "chatter marks & fretwork?" I figured I would need a good tech, I was just curious what would need to be done...new frets?

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Get it refretted and lose the "nibs". The frets will then be on top of the binding and increasing your playing area.

You need someone really good to do a Custom (and they are usually the most expensive to refret because of all that binding). Don't know where you are to suggest anyone.

Best, Pete.

5. SFT

SFT Member

Pete, so in the process, they would take off the white binding? Not sure how that would look. Anyone have a pic that might show what it would look like afterward?

6. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

While in general I am happy to pontificate on the deficiencies of GC and other big box MI chains,the repair situation at GC varies from store to store.Many GC stores have relationships with qualified and experienced techs who have a space and do both in house and their own work.Doug Johns at the Rockville GC is both a fine player and repairperson whose resume includes consulting for various manufacturers.Of course your mileage may vary with the situation at the particular store.

7. suttree

suttree Member

no, you won't lose your binding, it's just more finicky work, so you'll pay more for the tech's time. what's being suggested is to pull the frets off, and refret with the ends of the fret going out over the binding, so that you won't have that problem anymore. i don't know if there's a good, workable second option, but i would suspect that there is. the epoxy that the GC tech used probably wasn't hard enough. my old tech had a solution for some stuff that hardened up super hard, and that he could colour. i'd find a good tech in your area and show it to them for an opinion.

8. SFT

SFT Member

Well, I don't wanna badmouth the guy, but since you mentioned his name...he's the guy who "fixed" my guitar the first time. I'm sure he's a good guy, but basically he put an expensive band aid on my guitar. It would have been nice if he would have at least told me how the guitar needed to be fixed properly, because slapping on some glue is not what needed to be done to fix my guitar. He also overtightened a screw on my switch cover, cracking it slightly. Not on purpose I'm sure, but maybe if he didn't rush through the job/would have been more careful, it wouldn't have happened.

I'm sure he's done some quality work for people, I'm not doubting that, but I wouldn't bring my pride and joy back to him. If he consults for manufacturers, I would be surprised if Gibson is one of them.

9. SFT

SFT Member

So what would be a reasonable price for a pro fret job on a Les Paul Custom? just so I can brace myself before I go in and get a quote from someone (also, anyone have someone to recommend in the Maryland/Northern Virgina/DC area?). I want an EXPERT/PRO who has done this type of work for a looong time who has an impeccable reputation, because this guitar is my most prized possession and want it done RIGHT.

10. tac5

tac5 Member

$250.00-$300.00

11. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Baically, I agree about getting rid of the nibs. Some think they are cool, I think it's another way for Gibson to a) do freting cheaper or b) hide their crappy workmanship. However, before you spend a lot of cash on frets I'd look into repairing the nibs. Stewart MacDonald sells a white superglue that would probably work well. I'm not recommending you do it yourself. I'd only do the frets as a last resort (unless of course they are already toast!).

12. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

CAN I GET A WITNESS...sheeeesh. :jo I have owned 5 LP Customs....from that era........ and they all had terrible workmanship in that area..... the chatter marks are from not hand finishing the ends....and using a machine...probably a drill with a wheel on it...... I remember rejecting about 20 guitars....before I found a good one.I'm not from your area...and can only reccomend Mike Lull here in Seattle..... ask around...BUT STAY OUTTA GC's REPAIR SHOP.!!!!!!!!! AND WELCOME TO FRETLESS WONDERS!!!!

13. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

It may end up costing more, but if you're going to go so far as to have it refretted you might want to have the frets Plek'd at the same time. There is a very highly touted luthier in B-more named Phil Jacoby who has a Plek machine setup thingy. I'm going to have my Strat done there eventually, but that's a little while off.

www.philtone.com

14. SFT

SFT Member

sorry for asking, but what does having the frets "plek'd" mean? Like I said, I'm willing to pay to have this guitar taken care of properly. It has served me well for almost 2 decades, and I want it to last a lifetime.

15. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

A big 2nd on Philtone. A luthier's luthier, more picky than you are. Great guy to boot. He's really busy these days, so be sure to reserve a time slot, and definitely take your guitar in so you can meet him. He's spoiled me, as I wouldn't let anyone else touch my guitars. AC

16. SFT

SFT Member

Checked out phil's site. Very impressed. I just sent him an email with pics of my neck to get an idea of what it would need & a quote. Thanks for the recommendation!