Need help with my pedal order

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teardropexplode, Apr 23, 2008.

1. teardropexplode

teardropexplode Member

I just bought a Zvex Loop Junky and don't know where the best place for it to go in my chain would be. Could you guys help me with how this chain should go

Zvex Loop Junky
    Analogman Sun Face
    Ashbass Fuzzbrite
    Analogman King of Tone
    Zvex Super Hard-On
    Lovepedal Super 6
    Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo
    Boss TU-2

The Lovepedal Super 6 and the Super Hard-On are usually left on all the time.

2. teardropexplode

teardropexplode Member

Btw I use Blackface Fender amps and old Selmer's so there's no effects loops

3. teardropexplode

teardropexplode Member

Where do other people normally put their loop junky's?

4. isaacspookytac

isaacspookytac Member

Hey, i don't pretend to be an expert, but since it's a loop pedal, you have to decide which effects you want to record in the lo-fi loop. Typically, it would be near the end of your chain. However, if you had it at the end of your chain, then once the loop started, you'd have nowhere to go from there, so it'd probably be wise to put some of your pedals afterward.

I'd say it's a matter of selecting which effects you want to be able to turn on while the loop is going. Also test how pedals sound in the loop and after the loop, to see if there are interesting sounds when distorting a lo-fi guitar.

5. teardropexplode

teardropexplode Member

Hey man, thanks for your reply. I've never had a loop pedal before though and all I really use are dirt pedals so I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to how loopers relate to other pedals in my chain. Probably, I'll just be recording an overdriven rhythm guitar with the Junky (which will be a combination of amp overdrive and having the record volume cranked on the Loop junky). Probably the only pedal I'll be using while the loop is on is one of the fuzz's. The Super 6 and Boost will probably be on the whole time however. Should I just put the lo-fi and the end?

6. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Very true. There is no right answer. If you want true accurate loops of what you played, put it at the end of your chain. If you want to take a loop and gradually mess it up to create soundscapes with your other effects, put it at the beginning. Personally, I'd need a little of both and I'd probably put it after my gain/distortion pedals, but before my time based effects. That way my distortion sounds wouldn't go to mush with too much going through them and I could get an accurate straight distorted guitar loop, but I could add chorus, delay, trem, whatever afterwards to change up the texture on my loop.

7. teardropexplode

teardropexplode Member

So If I put it before my Trem then the actual loop would get the tremolo effect rather than my direct guitar? Sorry for the ignorant questions.

8. djinn1973

djinn1973 Member

I would try:
    Boss TU-2

Analogman Sun Face
    Ashbass Fuzzbrite

Zvex Super Hard-On
    Analogman King of Tone
    Lovepedal Super 6

Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo
    Zvex Loop Junky

Generally I like to have my OD's first, but some fuzz boxes hum if they have another pedal plugged in to them. So I would start with this, and move the pedals one at a time till you find the tone you want (and the noise level you can live with) but I would definitely leave the trem and looper for last.
    That being said there are no hard and fast rules for some thing like this, it all comes down to preference and your mileage may vary

9. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

The easiest way to visualize is that everything from your guitar to the loop box goes into the loop. Everything from the loop box to the amp goes on top of the loop.

If the loop is before your trem, the loop is getting no tremolo, so all of the trem sound comes "live" from your tremolo pedal on the fly. The nice thing with this is that you can turn the tremolo off of the loop if you want to at any point. The downside is that you won't be able to to play Trem free guitar over a loop that has tremolo if the tremolo is after the loop in the chain.

It gets much easier if everytime you practice for the next few days, you put the looper in a different spot in your effects chain. There is no right or wrong answer here. It really is all about finding the spot where you can get the most out of it.

10. teardropexplode

teardropexplode Member

Ahk, I think I understand now. I haven't actually received the Loop junky yet, it should arrive in the next couple of days so I'll have a play round with it and see what I like best. Just wanted to get some sort of guidance to get me going

11. teardropexplode

teardropexplode Member

Just one other thing. Say I put the Looper last. If I record a clean rhythm loop in which I use no pedals and then I want to play lead over the top using either a fuzz or an overdrive, will this only affect my lead guitar or will it also add fuzz/overdrive to the loop?

12. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

fx routing 101 - (though, any and all combos could work if it sounds good to you). but as a general rule of tone thumb...

fuzz>wah>octave>comp>od slight to heavy(perhaps fuzz here?)>volume pedal>modulation fx's (*though trem could go last to simulate going into an amp? try both ways)>delay's>loop junky>verb>(*trem)>amp

have fun.

13. teardropexplode

teardropexplode Member

Cool thanks, I'll give it a go at the end of my chain. Thanks guys