Need help with next acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by vibrato fingers, Jan 16, 2015.

1. vibrato fingers

vibrato fingers Member

Hello everyone,

I own a Martin HD 28V, looking for a smaller (000 size?) more defined guitar for picking. I play at wineries where the music is in the back ground. I love my martin, but it does lack a little on the treble side. Would a 00028, 00028H or 00028EC fit my needs? Don't know much about Collings, Santa Cruz guitars. What else could I look at that would be good for string separation? Needs to have volume, but I do have an acoustic amp.

Which pickup should I look at? LR Baggs, K&K?

Thanks for your help

Mike

2. gatornavy

gatornavy Member

I don't have an answer to your question, but have you tried different strings or picks, or even just adjusting your picking hand for optimal tone? My HD-28V has plenty of note seperation, and treble. Maybe I just got lucky though.

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Don't know what your budget is, but if I were in your position (need a gigable 000) I would get an import solid body like a Blueridge (my wife has a great BR-143), recording King or Loar and put a K&K clone from JJB - the Prestige 330 is good- in it.

The China acoustics use time tested designs and solid wood components and I think the budget shaving comes in with the finish. Lighter finish= more resonant top.
    Seagulls are also tradionally pretty loud guitars with a cool voice.
    The K&K/JJB do a good job of sounding very honest to the guitar's natural sound as compared to an undersaddle piezo.

Also worthy of note, my tech has two '60s Gibson L-02's for $600 each for sale in his shop. That is to say he had them a few weeks ago when he carved a new nut for my tele.

4. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

I have a lot of respect for Santa Cruz guitars. i have an Eric Skye double 0 model that is great.

5. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Volume in a OOO/OM? Yamaha LS16 A.R.E. Similar dimensions in plan to an OM but the body depth of a dread. Fabulous guitar in every way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeBmAuPYSgw
    Incidentally the reviewer is mistaken; the fingerboard and bridge are ebony, not rosewood. Do try this guitar; I guarantee you'll be impressed. Comes with a Yamaha hard case and a very nice, passive, pickup. Played unamplified it has plenty of treble; not overbearing but it projects very well. Amplified:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j5JPemJ9mc

There is, of course, the dreadnaught alternative. This is what I chose:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHbf-YwDXOw

(Yes, I am unashamedly biased!)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  6. vibrato fingers

vibrato fingers Member

thanks for the input, my budget is $2500.00 for a used guitar. I went to GC yesterday a played some Taylors (it was a 800 series) Gibson humming bird, a Martin 00028 EC. The 00025 had nice string definition, The taylor was nice, not quite the bottom end of a Martin, The Gibson was not as sweet as the 00028. Any small guitar makers I should Look at?

Thanks

Mike

7. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

Why not take a look at the "new" 000-18?

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

:agree

My custom OM/000-18 is fantastic! :)

9. TubeLuvr

TubeLuvr Member

You should take a look at Larrivee OMs. I have a Larrivee OM-60 and love it.
    Tone is kind of between Martin and Taylor. They are great for finger picking with a 1 3/4" nut. An OM-09 can be had within your range with enough left over for a nice pickup like a Baggs Lyric.

10. quilsaw

quilsaw Supporting Member

Mike -

I too have an HD28V and understand where you're coming from. I've come to believe that a part of your issue isn't really (just) a matter of treble/bass but, perhaps, just as much an issue of the rosewood back and sides.

As was said above (by gatornavy), I think you can improve the response of this model by changing your attack...lay back a bit more and/or use a lighter pick and touch. Also, I've experimented with different strings, including 80/20's, which might help achieve what you're after.

Still, I think having differently voiced instruments can be a good think too. I've tended to use my Bourgeois Martin Simpson European for more sensitive/expressive/fingerstyle pieces. Being a slope shoulder cedar over mahogany, along with typical Bourgeois voicing, tends to help.

Your budget should get you into an 000-18, which would probably be a great choice. In the used market, I might be more inclined to look at a Collings for "crisp-ness", but like all of the usual suspects in this class. For clarity and articulation, with a soft attack, I'd stick with cedar over mahogany. With heavier attack, I'd probably go with Adirondack over mahogany. The smaller body sizes will help too, raising the resonant frequency of the instrument and reducing overall bass response.

Hope that helps ya.

11. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

A Collings OM would fit the bill nicely.

12. davess23

davess23 Member

Love my Collings SJ and 000-2H, but for OMs my preference is Santa Cruz. The ones I've played tend to have great dynamics through the range, with nice singing high end and more powerful bass response than you'd expect in a guitar that size.

Only reason I chose the Cruz over a Collings OM is that I thought the Cruz sounded more "vintage"-- both are great guitars and in my opinion many are more like old Martins than the newer Martins seem to be.

13. Lo Blues

Lo Blues Member

If you're looking for slightly more treble and better string separation you should absolutely look into Collings. Collings acoustics have a reputation for having great note separation and volume. And in my opinion have a well defined high end that cuts nicely.

14. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Supporting Member

STOP�� LOOK INTO WATERLOO BY COLLINGS!

/thread