Need help with old Epiphone Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DSnellen79, May 5, 2015.

1. DSnellen79

DSnellen79 Member

A guy I know has an old Epiphone amp that he is trying to sell to me. He says its a 1957. The amp is a 1x15 combo and is not very loud so I am assuming its 5 watts. It is labeled "Century" but most of the other markings are wore off. It has Trem built in and the foot switch is made of wood. I can tell it has been serviced before but my friend says he thinks it needs servicing. It has two 6v6's, one 5y3 and I'm not sure about the rest. It is a plywood cab and for its age its in good shape. If you couldn't tell by now, I don't know much about this amp. Thats why I came here. What can you guys tell me? He offered to sell it for $300. Is that a fair price? I own fenders and it reminds me of a fender sound but it's thin and the one knob tone control is finicky and the treble gets a little ice licky. Im not sure if a good service job could fix this. Also the is a second switch my the power switch that doesnt do anything at the moment. What do you think?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DSnellen79

DSnellen79 Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. DSnellen79

DSnellen79 Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. DSnellen79

DSnellen79 Member

Ok, it looks like no body cares. Lol. I've been doing some investigation. The Jensen speaker is marked 220139 indicating 39th week of 1961. That would make manufacture of the speaker the last week of September of 1961. The amp was made in Kalamazoo. Gibson took over and moved Epiphone to Kalamazoo in 1957. I also read somewhere that this would be the equivalent to Gibson's GA-20T. I also saw a comment it is Gibson's version of a tremolux. It's also a 14 watt amp. That means something IS wrong with it because the volume is very low and thin. I think I'm going to take it to my tech in the next few days to get it evaluated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Ok, a few comments.

2 6V6 power tubes should give about 10-20 watts depending on the circuit and other factors. The extra switch most likely is a polarity switch, from the days before 3 prong grounded outlets were common. Does the same thing as reversing the plug. In the old days you would switch polarity for less hum and to avoid shocks. Its also possibly a non working
    standby switch. If the amp has a 2 prong plug it needs to be updated with a properly installed grounded 3 prong plug for modern safety standards.

The preamp tubes are a little unusual compared to the current 12AX7 more common usage. I think the amp probably needs work, preferably from someone familiar with 50s and 60s Gibson amps. Could be a cool amp if you want more of a 60s vintage tone, not really for high gain metal. I wouldn't hold the single tone control against it but budget in money for decent tech work.

6. JeffHaddad

JeffHaddad Supporting Member

Looks pretty good and seems worth $300. Get it checked for the low volume but I see a 3 prong cord and new filter caps so it shouldn't take much. Should be a good sounding speaker too.

7. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah it's a '61 and I'm betting the filter and coupling caps are toast.

Rad amp when working right!

8. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

Gibson used a lot of 6EU7 preamp tubes. They're roughly equivalent to a 12AX7. There is a modern, I think Sovtec, equivalent, but they're kinda harsh and edgy compared to the old ones. NOS are available, and no too expensive.

Might get some of the modern ones to swap out for testing. If you get decent gain and power out, then go for NOS.

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

You'd might get better help in amp tech forum.

I know zilch about that. But looking at it if that's stock orig speaker it's probably very low efficiency and holding amp back considerably.

I think if I was you I'd talk him down to $250-275. A lot of that inside looks original and probably needs replaced badly. And well, unless you can test or swap those preamp tube out and see how their running you have no idea what's holding it back. I'd say all the above, speaker, tubes, components.

I would love to have that though, that's sexy. But I'd also figure that if I did buy it as is, I'd figure at least having to sink another $300 in for vintage qualified tech, tubes, speaker to get it running to perfection. And I would. I see a fixer'upper.

I could see my little 1959 Ric m-8 setting on top of it and a ABY switch in front.

All grey colored ear'gasm ....... a 8" and a 15", it needed some work to bring it up to snuff. Probably $475 in it all said and done but think that one will probably push up into $600 range to get fixed up. But it's in great shape cosmetically.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. zenas

zenas Member

Filter caps are JJ so of course they've been changed. There's two electrolytics on the board that should get changed.
    The part I hate about an amp like this that's had some work done is you have to make sure the last guy did it right. No biggy if you have the right schematic though and 300 bucks ain't bad.

Speaker looks like a C12R (or something like it) more volume is as easy as a swapping in a new speaker.

Same old vintage amp thing have it checked out. For instance I'm giving my brother one of my 1962 Ampeg Reverberockets, both fully serviced by me and I know as soon as I leave he'll be inside going over my work. I do the same when he gives me one. :)

11. pepi

pepi Member

Pretty nice looking old amp there. I would say cleaned up and working it would bring 5 bills easy.