need help with some amp ideas

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CatStrangler, Jun 8, 2008.

1. CatStrangler

CatStrangler Member

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions for a new smaller amp, say less than 30 watts. I currently have a traynor ycv20, but its just not cutting the mustard.It kind of has this upper midthing going on that I don't like. I'm looking for a bedroom setup thats not too loud and will be at home with strat, tele and LP type gits. I'm looking for something less than 1000$ and at the very least tube preamp. my styles are blues, jazz and classic rock with occasional forays into something heavier.(needs good overdrive). Any help would be appreciated. Phil

2. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

2 pro jrs will cost about 600 bucks and sound as good as anything out there. a stereo delay and some reverb if you like. it'll sound huge, enough volume to hang with any band. they're easily pushed into overdrive, they love pedals and they're easy on your back. no i don't work for fender. i just found a way to work smarter not harder.

3. SRVTWO

SRVTWO Member

Blues Junior, then replace the stock speaker. Killer amp.
    Mike

4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

THe name of the amp is called Princeton Reverb. Just reissued for $900. Or you can find silver faced PR's for $500-$800 on e-bay. THe 77-79 are push-pull vol and don't listen to anyone who says they are bad, you just don't pull the knob. You want overdrive? get your favoite overdrive pedal. This amp does everything so well, you will pee in your pants from Godtoneindulgence

5. CatStrangler

CatStrangler Member

That does sound intriguing. Any opinions on the reissues? Also what kind of headroom am I looking at. Hopefully I can find one locally to try out. Thanks everyone. I hope the suggestions keep coming.

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

All suggestions thus far have been awesome, IMHO. The boutique amp guys haven't found this thread yet :) Once they do, the suggestions will indeed keep coming. :)