1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Need help with strat wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by TonyVP, Feb 11, 2019.

1. TonyVP

TonyVP Member

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to guitar wiring, so please bear with me.

I am working on my first strat project right now, I wanted to add "bridge on" function a-la Gilmour and a series function (neck with middle or middle with bridge). But I also wanted a killswitch and a master tone.

I initially wanted to use two on-on DPDT switches, but I found on another forum a thread where someone suggests using a single on-on-on DPDT switch. So I started with that diagram:

[​IMG]

I then used other diagrams from YouTube on how to do a master tone and add a killswitch and I think this is where I made a mistake. The wiring that I have right now is as follows:

[​IMG]

Jack Ground and Jack Hot wires go to a killswitch first and then to a jack.

Now, the problem is I am getting the series connection in down position of the DPDT switch (this is what I want). I am also getting a standard strat 5-way, but in the up position of the DPDT switch (I want that to be in the middle) and I am getting something weird in the middle position of DPDT switch.

Can anyone help me with this please? In short, I want to have bridge on in up position of the switch, standard strat in the middle position of the switch and series in down position.

Thank you all in advance!

2. stratamania

stratamania Member

You probably need a Superswitch.

GGinMP likes this.
  3. TonyVP

TonyVP Member

Ok, so you're saying I can't add a master tone to the first wiring diagram without a superswitch?

4. TonyVP

TonyVP Member

Quick update, I switched the hot wire and the cap on the tone pot. I also rewired the DPDT switch a little, but the main idea remains the same. Now the only thing that doesn't work in the "Bridge on" in one of the positions on the switch.

When I test it by touching the bridge pickup with a metal object with either of the first three positions on the 5-way pickup selector a loud buzzing appears. Everything else works. Is there a way to fix that?

5. Gclef

Gclef Member

Wire the bridge pickup to a dpdt switch center lug.

Take one outer lug to the normal spot on the 5way switch, take the remaining lug and wire it to the output of the 5way where it goes to the output jack.

It will come on in all positions that way