Need help with them super sensitive nitro finishes...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by StratStringSlinger, Dec 21, 2009.

1. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

I love olympic white Fenders. I also like to keep my guitar out on the guitar stand so I can play it whenever I have a free minute. The problem is the guitar stand put's stains on the nitro finish where the stand touches the body. It's especially noticeable b/c of the olympic white finish. I got a NOS finish on my guitar and would like it to age naturally with regular playing; and I don't mind a naturally worn guitar but the two yellow stains on the bottom of the guitar just look silly in my opinion. Two questions:

1) Is there a way to reduce or fix the stain on a nitro finish?

2) What kind of material (or some creative way) I can put between the guitar finish and the resting area of the guitar stand to prevent the staining from getting worse? Right now I put on a very light grey Planet Waves polishing cloth between the guitar and the supports on the guitar stand; hoping this will prevent further damange...but not sure if it will work.

Any advice or help is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

A soft, 100% cotton cloth will do the trick (and is often recommended for this purpose). I'd fold it once or twice just to be extra safe.

You might have to remove some of the finish to get rid of the stains, but I'm no expert on getting stains out of finishes.

3. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

+1 on cotton. I took some gloves and cut the fingers off and made stand condoms.
    not my idea, but I did read it here seems to work.

Also, the nitro does seem to settle down, takes a couple of years though. I don't seem to have an issue with any guitar that's 4 years or older. even 3

4. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Thanks, good info. I had a Les Paul which I didn't put on a stand until about 4 years later...never a problem. I will try the cotton thing.

No magic remedies for removing or lessening the stains though???