Need Help with Vertigo guitar tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cosmic Highway, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Cosmic Highway

Cosmic Highway Member

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, I hope I am putting it in the right area. I'm trying to develop a juicy rock guitar tone sort of like The Edge's tone on Vertigo for a song that I wrote. I don't necessarily want to emulate his tone exactly although I wouldn't complain, but I'm just trying to find a nice juicy rock sound to use on some tunes I've written myself.

I have a custom made tweed amp that is 50 watts and breaks up pretty well, I'm just never in a situation to turn it up loud enough to get some of that break up overdrive. I also have a Keeley compressor (4 knobs) and a ibenez tube screamer modded by Keeley. I'm open to trying and buying new pedals and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks.

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Line 6 DM4.

I think I read somewhere he used a 'Fuzz Face' setting on one to actually record the album. Live I have no idea.

3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

ya definitely some sort of OD/fuzz into most likely an AC30... I had good luck with an OCD into my Concorde getting that tone... and a memory man (or echo park, or other mod delay in a pinch) will help you with the little solo break and the down bridge section that follows..

4. Cosmic Highway

Cosmic Highway Member

Sweet, thanks for the help guys. I think I'll check out a fuzz face as well as the line 6. What is an OCD?

5. RedUK

RedUK Member

Played this live a fair bit. IMO you just need an overdrive with a nice chunky bottom end - I use a modded BD-2 on about half gain - maybe a little more. Punch something else in for some ambience on those 3-note 'lead' phrases over the "All of this..." lyric (I use some delay) and you're sorted.

For this sort of sound you can get too caught up - just play loud and have some bottom end going on and let rip.

6. Rock72

Rock72 Member

On the intro to vertigo, the Edge actually used one or two Fender Blues Jrs.... Not sure which pedal, but it could be either a TS-9, SD-1, Ampeg Scrambler, Muff or any of his numerous dirt pedals.