Need humbuckers for Tele

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by swinginguitar, Apr 9, 2015.

1. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

Is this the right forum for pickup questions - lol or will it be lost among the pedal threads?

Here goes:

I'm a strat player; i have les pauls but just not my thing. But I'm jonesing for humbuckers so i'm thinking about turning a tele into a 2 HB arrangement (alder body maple neck and fb).

I don't care so much about boutique brands etc, but would like some input - seymour duncan and dimarzio is about the right price range...and i'm not really interested in the value brands.

what I *don't* want:

- muddy lows
    - crazy high output (work well with a rig set up for strats)
    - big mid boost
    - don't need a straight up vintage correct PAF type sound

what i *do* want:

- clarity in the high end..needs to cut through well and not be farty/boomy
    - moderate output in the bridge...enough to overdrive well but not so much that it won't clean up
    - i like P90s and especially filter tron type tones, but not something i want all the time...but i do like the snap and snarl. maybe there is a HB set that is the best of both worlds?
    - the last HB guitar i had was a PRS CE24 with vintage bass/HFS combo and it worked pretty well for me

what about a combo like SD Jazz and Pearly Gates?

Other?

2. thecornman

thecornman Member

I have a Tele build with a Tone Zone T in the bridge and Air Norton S in the neck which are rail style humbuckers! Love them. They give me the big humbucker type sounds I am looking for, but also clean up very well for milder stuff as well. They work great in the band mix too.

3. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Maybe the Fralin Pure PAF's?

Lindy compares his Pure PAF's and his hum canceling P90's and then he plugs in a Strat right at the end to show how a Strat sounds with the same amp settings.

-bEn r.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  4. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

TV Jones?
    If you want that Gretsch sound...

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

If you use full size bucker routes you will have the most options. Lollar low wind Imperials, El Rayos or Lollartrons would be worth listening to. I used the Low Winds on a semi hollow build and they sounded great. Mike Hermans and Just Nick have done demos with the Lollartrons that will give you a good idea how they sound. Lower output Fralins can sound great too, as can Duncans, Bardens and many others. You're going to be a bit more limited if you want an F-spaced bridge pickup (which I'd recommend).

If you use TV Jones no-ears Filtertron mounts and keep the routes tight, you can always go back to a traditional tele setup since it all fits under the bridge. Jones' come in a lot of different flavors so you're not limited tonally. Filtertrons are really versatile in a tele.

6. daioni

daioni Member

I have a mex cabronita with fidelitrons and a custom shop cabronita with filtertrons. I'd suggest giving the fidelitrons a try - they should do well if you want to use them with a single-coil rig.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

My recommendation would be for either the SD Jazz or Seth Lover.

8. sosomething

sosomething Member

A Pearly Gates bridge fits your description of what you want (except in terms of output), but I can't help but feel it'll seem a little strident in a Telecaster (unless it's a pretty dark-sounding Telecaster). Also, a Jazz Neck might not pair too well with it, as that's a darker pickup that despite having a low-ish DC resistance, actually has a pretty good amount of output.

The 59 works well in a Tele and pairs nicely with the Jazz Neck, but might be a little more midrangey than what you're after.

I would recommend one of two sets, depending on your priorities. I think a set of Seth Lovers would sound awesome in a Tele while meeting all your criteria. If you like the idea of the Pearly Gates, you could go with the Pearly Gates bridge and pair it with either the 59 or Seth neck.

9. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

i just put a GFS Dream 90 neck and Dream 180 bridge combo in my guitar- you basically described the Dream 180's tone exactly. Sonically they're kindof a PAF and Filtertron hybrid, so they have clarity and snap in the high end, but also are really thick in the lows without getting muddy or too middy. Best part is they're less than $50 a piece (and come in a large variety of colors and styles). Check them out!

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Dream-180-Vintage-Voiced-Humbucker-Chrome-_c_54.html

10. Viral_Rock

Viral_Rock Member

Firebird pickups have plenty of snap and snarl. Tried and true match for a tele. They're not humbuckers, but...

11. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

The Seymour Duncan mini-hums?

12. desertRat

desertRat Member

My main tele is set up for full size buckers. ive been going through the duncan line up in the bridge and for the time being have been using a custom custom but im finding it a little too bright, I found the JB and Distortion both too hot. i put a 57 classic in the neck i had laying around just to fill the gap till i decided what i wanted in the neck....that 57 might just be there for life. its just the perfect ballance in that swamp ash tele. not too bright or too dark, just perfect! (i usually dont like 57's for the record).

13. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

The Dimarzio Chopper might do what you want in the bridge, in a standard Tele size.

14. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

I have the same Tele you have - Echopark Gold Coils are magnificent and do just what you want. Plus the humbucking Gold Coil splits to a true P90 :)

15. kdc113

kdc113 Member

Erick Johnson humbucker?

16. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

I'd look into Dimarzio Air Classics - they seem to balance well with my single coils, so I would be happy with them in your scenario. The 36th Anniversary PAF's are also good, but a tad louder and fatter in the midrange.

17. rocknrollshakeup

rocknrollshakeup Member

TV Jones supertrons in a Tele style guitar give amazing sounds..hard to beat in my opinion. I suspect also that classics would give a great sound also, if you want a slightly thinner, twangier sound. I would love to try the new TV jones setzer signature pickups.

I have a Fano TC6, lightweight swamp ash, with TV Jones Supertrons and that guitar delivers unbeatable tones. Amazing sound all the way around from clean punchy chime to killer overdriven sounds, all with great clarity and no mud at all. It annoys me because it is probably my best all around sounding guitar, yet the tele style body is uncomfortable for me to play, and I like a 24 3/4" neck style better...but when I "suffer" I am amazed by it every single time.

18. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

what great responses! wow!

i am sifting through and researching -

wondering what a set of air classics would be like?

just played a friend's tele style with porter anthems - nice tones in there - kinda classic gibson type tones but none of the woofiness of a LP - slinkier i guess....

i really dig the 'tron sound, but am not sure if i want to be locked in to it long term. with HBs i can at least split them off for variety.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

I've never done a bridge HB in a Tele. But if you want crisp, clear, detailed, non-boomy, the SD Jazz you mentioned works great in a Tele neck for that. Tele neck position is inherently pretty dark for some reason. I put a SD Jazz in one Tele body that was darker than the rest of mine even, and it was bright enough to be clear, detailed and crisp.

If you were into a more vintage sound, I'd suggest the Duncan Seth Lover without reservation. It is the finest neck HB I've played through in a Tele, bar none. It is bright, responsive and clear for a HB. Has a bit of that nice HB compression. Beat out a Jazzmaster p/u, several p90s for me and a Wide Range repro (correct threaded magnet material and all). A real surprise. Up until I tried the Seth Lover, I was convinced I just didn't like humbuckers.

20. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

any idea what would be a good pairing in the bridge for a Jazz or Seth Lover?

often you hear of the JB model, but that might be too hot and middy for me...not sure.

also, seth lovers aren't wax potted nor 4 conductor...which would be nice to have