Need info: 90's Hamer Specials and neck profile

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ScottB, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

Does anyone have any info on the range of neck profiles on the Hamer Specials from the 90's.

I'm looking for a TV Special and Hamers seem to be a good option. There is one on ebay right now that is described as a "comfortable, thin" neck. I tend to like medium to thick necks.

Would one expect all Hamer Specials to have thin necks? Should I hop on this one, wait for a thick one, or go with something else if they are all thin and I'm unlikely to find one that will suit me?

Thanks,

Scott

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

USA Hamer necks aren't very consistant from guitar to guitar, because they're hand carved like the old Gibson necks were. I bet that the import Hamer necks are very similar from guitar to guitar.

Pete

3. Raymund

Raymund Member

I have the same problem: I love Hamer P-90 Specials but prefer chunkier necks. Most Hamer Specials (especially the nice 93 Specials) have rather thin necks. You will have more luck if you look into the 94 and 95 models. :JAM

4. slayer

slayer Member

I have a 2003 CS Hamer USA Sustain Block Special with a large neck, maybe even a little larger than the 59 LP neck, vintage trans orange(between natural and cherry color). Any of you guys interested? Jack.

5. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

That Sustain Block bridge would make it more cool!

I don't have the money to buy a USA Hamer right now (new or used), but what are you asking? Got any pics?

Pete

6. slayer

slayer Member

[​IMG][​IMG]Hi Pete. My pics suck, but you get the idea!! Thanks-Jack.[​IMG]

7. Andy_T

Andy_T Member

+1

The early nineties Hamers have good and thin necks. In most of '94 and on they have been at least of a medium girth. Some of the '94s are thin as well, or so I hear. I have a '95 studio that is definitely medium.

8. slayer

slayer Member

My 2003 has a large neck, I would say 59 LP or a little larger. Jack.

9. Grap

Grap Member

'97 Hamer Special with P90's here. It has what I'd describe as a medium C neck. It has maybe 1/8" more wood front to back than a Gibson '60 slim taper (I just eyeballed it & my Firebird V RI 'cos it's closest to hand), pretty similar to the neck on my '97 Les Paul Jr. TVDC in fact (Yes. I have far too many guitars).

10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Slight tangent --okay, more than slight. I have an early 90s Special w/P-90s; how do I date it? I think I bought it in '92 or '93, but I'm not sure -- and that doesn't tell me when it was made.

The neck is pretty thin, although not as svelte as, say, a '60s Fender C profile (judging from RI's of same.)

11. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

Good info here. Thanks!

I think I'll hold off and wait for a newer one based on the responses.

12. shadco

shadco Member

93 special

.793 inch at 1st fret .850 at 12th 14" radius reall flat.

I'd call it skinny