Need input from people who've played both an Ethos and a D-Style amp!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by csweldon, Jan 31, 2015.

1. csweldon

csweldon Member

I'm at a crossroads...
    I recently picked up a Pritchard Sword of Satori, an amp I've wanted the past 10 years. LOVE it! It's compact, versatile at high and low volumes. I'm also a proud owner of a Fuchs ODS mod. Depending on how I set the switches, there's actually a lot of crossover. The Fuchs is also compact, and is surprisingly lighter than the Pritchard! The one tone I'd use on the Pritchard that I can't get on the Fuchs is the Vox tone. Sounds great! Conversely, the sound I love the most on the Fuchs is the Overdrive with the Deep switch on. It sounds HUGE, and has a very satisfying compression. On the Pritchard, I can't get this sound.

Due to bills, I can only afford to keep one :-/ How do you choose between your 2 Dream Amps?

So I ask you, amp and pedal fiends: what is my best course of action?

I'm thinking an Ethos Classic might bring that loose, big tone I like from the Fuchs. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about tubes for a while. For those who've tried both an ODS and an Ethos, how does this compare?

Conversely, I could keep the Fuchs and get a Wampler Thirty Something to get that Voxy chime I love.

TGP, I need help. What would you do?!

2. lareplus

lareplus Member

Having no experience with either of these i feel i am utterly free from bias, and I am sincere in saying there is never anything wrong with that gorgeous Voxy chime!

3. csweldon

csweldon Member

Absolutely, my friend, it's one of my favorite tones, bar none! I figure, aside from needing to unload an amp, tonally it's a win-win. If I can find the money elsewhere, I'll happily keep both amps, but if it comes down to it.... Well, I'll be happy with either, especially if I can get that one major missing tone from the amp I keep.

Ultimately, it's a choice between 2 top notch amps and 2 top notch pedals. There are WAY worse problems to have!

4. csweldon

csweldon Member

Bump! Any TGP'r have any experience to share?

5. danel59

danel59 Member

Sorry for the late reply. I have both an Ethos TLE/Classic and a Fuchs ODS30. I originally bought the Ethos for flydates and back line supplied gigs and overall was quite happy with the results when I couldn't or didn't want to use the Fuchs. I have never had the opportunity to try the Ethos into a Vox "voiced" amp so not sure how it would sound but with the GAC and HI Cut control besides the tone controls on the channels themselves you have quite a bit of
    tone control that should work well with any amp. I don't play live much anymore and the last few gigs I used the Ethos direct to PA and worked great that way as well. So with that in mind it is a great backup in case an amp goes down on the gig and a lot easier to carry around. IF you were to get an Ethos I might advise going for the TLE/Classic option which will give you even more options and depending on the guitar I use does make quite a difference in feel and tone as well. Don't get me wrong I still think my ODS30 is a great amp but I really don't know what I would do if my Ethos went missing ( I also own a Kemper for playing at home but my Ethos still gets a lot of love)

Dan

6. Nota

Nota Member

Just saw this thread.

I often repeat myself on these forums about my Ethos. It's my entire rig. Covers all my OD and clean needs. I use it direct to some kind of PA (currently with a small, cheap DI box under my board). It's MY sound, and I get tons of compliments on it whenever people hear me play (many from the ladies).

That said, doesn't mean it will work for you. It's hard to get used to a "direct" sort of sound if you're used to the physical feel of your amps. I would know, I've traded back and forth many times. But the tone is there, certainly.

7. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

I agree with Nota. I use the ethos directly into my PA and haven't looked back. It's everything I've wanted from amps without any of the hassles. On that note you might get by really nicely with using the ethos instead of your Fuchs.

8. HaloMaster

HaloMaster Silver Supporting Member

I have a Ethos amp, and a Fuchs ODS 30. In my opinion, the ethos is great, but it couldn't replace my Fuchs. There is just something about a tube amp, especially the Fuchs. My advice, go with the Fuchs, and get a voxy OD.

9. csweldon

csweldon Member

Oh wow, I'd thought this thread was dead, for sure! I had an Ethos TLE before and loved it, great sound direct - truly impressive! Never had the Classic, though, but the description sounded like what I love about the Deep Switch; bigger, looser bass response. Gonna have to get the Classic/TLE one someday, for sure!

But for now, it won't be necessary; turns out, THAT sound is in my Pritchard, by setting it up in a way I'd never thought. The Fuchs is staying too, though. I love it to much to ship it off, and I've got a few guitars I don't use anymore... Maybe. I don't know, I'll work it out haha

Thank you all for your help! Even though I won't make good of it now, I will later on :)

10. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Got my Simble today. It's awesome. Just a very musical pedal with a subtle character that's different enough to expand the potential of an already great amp.

11. django49

django49 Member

12. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

We're aiming for the ODS-II to begin shipping during June. We have thankfully accumulated a pretty healthy back order list.

The pc board designs are being finalized and we are waiting on a few sample front and rear panels to confirm dimensions, graphics as well as fit and finish. I'm shooting some new demo videos on it this month as well.