need jazz guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fancynapkin, Jun 6, 2006.

1. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

for under $500...

I understand jazz can be played on "anything", right now I have 2 ibanez rg's and they are just about as far away from a jazz guitar as you can get.
    I was thinking about picking up an inexpensive semi-hollow 335-type guitar, like a washburn hb-35, hohner hs-35, or a used ibanez artstar.
    another option would be going for a full hollow, like an aria fa-71, or the agile cool cat.
    Then of course I could get something like a tele and put on some flatwounds.
    What do you think?

2. Andy_T

Andy_T Member

I seem to remember hearing good things about Cort guitars . . .

3. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Ibanez makes a good one in that price range.

4. CHyde

CHyde Member

Check out the Ibanez Artcore series.

5. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

6. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

A friend bouht me a Oscar Scmidt Washburn L5 Copy for less than $125 as it was a second (many finish flaws) and it plays wonderfully. I have a Classic 57 that I bought for under $100 that is going in the neck position.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oscar-Schmidt-by-Washburn-Acoustic-Electric-OE40-NT_W0QQitemZ7417960512QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2385QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That being said, I have had great experiences with a tele with Texas Specials and flatwounds!

7. HHB

HHB Member

I found a used Cort Joe Beck for around 400 used, a really good sounding guitar in that range

8. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I really like the Epiphone Joe Pass in that price range. Voiced really well for jazz IMO.

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I've got an Aria FA 71 (Korean) and an Ibanez AS 73 (Chinese). Both worth the money and good guitars but the FA 71 is on another level quality wise above the Ibanez. The FA 71 is simply flawless right down to the polished perfect frets. The FA 71 pup is not the best though it's not bad. I replaced it with a Kent Armstrong. The pots area actually very good. The Ibanez is a well built guitar with the only issues being the fret ends are sharp and I needed to file them smooth. The guitar sounded good stock but I changed the pups and pots for StewMAc Golden Age. It was worth the $70. I would investigate the Aria ES style clones because this company has it going on for low $$ axes.

10. Fripperton

Fripperton Member

Michael Kelly Velvet II. They street atround $419.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]