Need modeling practice amp. Fender Mustang III or Blackstar Core?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Lawless33, May 7, 2016.

1. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Hi, guys! I leave my live rig (Atomic Amplifire into CLR monitor) at church and am looking to get a modeling amp to use at home for practice and jamming. I want something with effects built-in.

I'll be using a Fender Strat that has 3 Fishman Fluence single coil pickups and a Schecter Banshee that has a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck.

Should I be looking at the Fender Mustang III v2 or the Blackstar Core ID: 40 stuff?

What's been your preference and why? Especially if you've had the opportunity to own or play both. Thanks!

Wes

B Hadey likes this.
  2. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Mustang III all the way. To be fair, never liked Black star stuff in general; so there's that. I dig the heck out of my Mustang V.

Lawless33 and B Hadey like this.
  3. B Hadey

B Hadey Member

I would go for the Mustang. When I got mine I checked out most of them and it was the one that had best sound to me. I used the III. The mistake some people make is to not get into the setting deep enough. Or they hear the presets and think the amp sucks. The presets suck, not the amp. You can download presets but a lot of them suck too. So find something close and then edit it.

this the Mustang III. just about all the clips on my You Tube channel are the Mustang.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    ssmug, doublescale1 and Lawless33 like this.
  4. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Either one will work. They are both nice rigs.
    However ...
    I went with a Cube 40 GX, for cost / portability reasons.
    Got a great price with the Roland rebate.
    Its loud enough for small gigs, too.
    I bought the floor switch, which allows me to switch between three amp settings.
    I wanted the Roland clean sound, for a change.
    Just make sure the amp can accept mini 8" plug for jam tracks, etc.

Lawless33 likes this.
  5. JiveTurkey

FWIW Wes; the Mustang is one modeling device I found absurdly easy to dial in good presets from scratch.

Lawless33 likes this.
  6. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Thanks, guys! This helps a lot.

I've owned other modelers over the years and know that most of the presets are way too processed for my ears. I've always found patches that are in the ballpark of what I like and tweak from there.

Wonder if Mike Britt has a Mustang III. ;)

JiveTurkey likes this.
  7. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

Mustang III. Great sounds, light weight, plenty of power for most any gig.

8. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Wondering if the Mustang III v2 is too much amp for me though since I won't be gigging with it. I'll just be using it at home to practice.

I suppose I could use it as a backup rig if needed.

9. Brutus

Brutus Member

Sounds just as good low volume and it will give you more than enough power to play out should you choose to.

jaysmall, JiveTurkey and Lawless33 like this.
  10. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

The Mustang III v2 has idled my tube amps and ended my amp search. It CAN be that good IF properly tweaked and programmed. It sounds great at speaking voice/practice levels and can get frighteningly loud if needed.

Lawless33 likes this.
  11. JiveTurkey

The II is 40watts which could be not quite loud enough in a jam session (depending on the style). The I is 20watts with an 8 inch speaker and I can guarantee my disappointment with both of those specs. The III seems like it should be just right.

jaysmall and Lawless33 like this.
  12. riffy

riffy Member

This sounds outstanding. Both the tone and playing are stellar to me!

13. CBHTele

CBHTele Supporting Member

Between the two, the MIII by miles. And it would definitely be a good backup.

jaysmall and Lawless33 like this.
  14. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

You've given me something to think about, Matt! Hadn't even considered the Blackstar TVP's. Watching some vids on them now. Thanks!

Wes

15. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

I guess now I'm no longer looking at the Core series, but the TVP series versus the Mustang III v2. My local shop as the Mustang in stock, but per the Blackstar rep's recommendations, they only stock the Core and HT series...no TVP's.

16. dazco

dazco Member

+1. I've played thru the BS ID30 quite a bit and my MIII is imo in a different league if you are into classic clean to dirt tones and like the in between stuff a lot. The BS to me feels and sounds ok when at it's bets, but it still seems like a SS amp to me while my MIII is 100% tube to my ear and feel.

Lawless33 likes this.
  17. tony67

tony67 Member

I have looked all over for an affordable modeling amplifier for quite awhile, and I have been using modeling for years with V-Amps, PODs, BOSS GT-100, GSP1101 - I am getting the Mustang III v2 in July.

Lawless33 likes this.
  18. B Hadey

B Hadey Member

thanks. Do you like that Dean pictured on your profile? I've had an eye on those, but never was able to play one.

19. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

Behind a Killer Les Paul Somewhere in Japan
    I'd have a wait for the Marshall Code... they look promising.

Lawless33 likes this.
  20. B Hadey

B Hadey Member

On the Mustang, you have to get into the Amp setting. Click on "advanced' and choose different cabinets....mess with the SAG setting and Bias setting.

I have tube amps..have used them a lot. Now I use the Mustang almost all the time. No pedal board to worry about. You can use the 4 button pedal to turn on and off individual effects in a preset. I think a good tube amp with good pedal will always sound better. But the key for me about the Mustang is how good it will sound when its not very loud.

Lawless33 likes this.