Need modulation suggestion for Boss only-pedalboard

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
Hey gang...putting together a Boss-only pedalboard to leave at the practive space and in need of suggestions to round it out. Most of this is stuff I already have kicking around sitting dormant, and rather than try to compete with the glut of pedals out there, I figure I'd put it to good use.

The parameters:
1) need 2 suggestions, pref in the non-dirt category.
2) Has to be done on a budget basis. As much as I'd like a VB-2 on this, ain't happening. CE-3 or CE-2b that I can mod is probably more like it.
3) This is going on a pedaltrain mini, so I think I'm capped at 6 spots.

Here's what I have so far:
TU-2
CS-3
SD-2
DD-3

Higher gain stuff will be taken care of by amps distortion channel, as would reverb.

I'm thinking some type of Chorus would be in order, and maybe one of the weirder noisemakers like the Super Shifter or something? Always wanted a PN-2, but that might be the upper end of the $$ range.

thecornman

Lots of great ones to choose from! The PS-6 would be good, because you can cover your chorus needs with the detune as well as your pitch shifter needs. For myself a phaser is a must as well. I like the PH-3, but most prefer the PH-2 over it.

gatordoc

I prefer my DC-2 over my CE-2 but considering how much they have gone up over the last few years it'd probably be better to go with the CE-2 if on a budget.

The HF-2 High Band Flanger is worth considering as they are still relatively cheap and sound pretty good.

Ryan84

CE-2 and PH-1R

Cannot be beat!!!!

Listen how it slays the other 2

And the CE-2 speaks for itself. No need to post a video. Undisputed classic. TGP heirloom.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks everyone keep 'em coming! I guess a CE-2 is in order...

bandofthieves - part of the goal here is to put some of the stuff I have laying around to use, so the ME50 is a good option, but sort of contrary to what I'm after.

Coldacre

bandofthieves™;17292945 said:
For practice place why not just buy an ME50. They can be had on the cheap..
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=534
I've ownedan ME-50 for the last 10 years - while its a jack of all trades, it does certain things really well (delay, reverb) and other things really badly (overdrive, modulation). the Phase on the ME-50 is terrible. complete shapeship, 'take-over-your-tone-overkill' phase. NOT recommended!

if the OP can look outside the BOSS circle, the Small Stone Nano is cheaper and smaller than any BOSS pedal, and it's a better phaser.

k tone

BF-2. From the lushest chorus to intense flange all with the twist of a knob...and FZ-2. No amp can do what the FZ-2 does.

itchyfingers

Gold Supporting Member
Another vote for the PH-1r, best sounding phaser for my needs.

My other recommendation for Boss modulation would be the PN-2 if you have a stereo rig, or the TR-2 if you run mono (also cheaper)

dancehall

CE-2 is great. If you wanna go budget, the older CE-5 and CH-1, the analog versions, are honestly fine. The TR-2 is quite good, if you need a trem.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
The CE-3 or CE-3B could be a good option, as they're usually very cheap, and you can get a vibrato sound if you use the right output. Might not sound like a VB-2, but it might get the job done.

TR-2 is great too, and is easy to get.

Make sure you post pics when your board is done!!!

kiki_90291

Another vote for HF-2 - can be had dirt cheap and they are awesome pedals. They pull off a decent chorus with a much cleaner/less mid-hump tone than a CE-2 and can push into completely crazy sounds that approach a ring mod (and even self oscillation!).

For more traditional chorus, the CE-2 is superb.

The PS-3 and PS-5 are both fun pedals, too.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
Whats the diff between the BF-2 and the HF-2?

I've always had a soft spot for a PN-2, but truthfully I wont likely ever be going stereo with this setup. As a regular trem, how does the PN-2 stack up against the TR-2?

I think, for the band I'll be using this board with, chorus is more important than flanging or phase, but if I can get a passable chorus tone out of one of those Super Shifters, or the HF-2 that might be cool. The CE-2's are so cool, but I worry about powering them? Dont they have the old school plugs??

To the person that recommend a Small Stone...I just want to keep it to Boss on this one, mainly for yuks, but also cause I already have a few hanging around.

kiki_90291

Whats the diff between the BF-2 and the HF-2?

I've always had a soft spot for a PN-2, but truthfully I wont likely ever be going stereo with this setup. As a regular trem, how does the PN-2 stack up against the TR-2?

I think, for the band I'll be using this board with, chorus is more important than flanging or phase, but if I can get a passable chorus tone out of one of those Super Shifters, or the HF-2 that might be cool. The CE-2's are so cool, but I worry about powering them? Dont they have the old school plugs??

To the person that recommend a Small Stone...I just want to keep it to Boss on this one, mainly for yuks, but also cause I already have a few hanging around.
The HF-2 is a "high band" flanger. From BossArea: "The HF-2 is combining the original signal with a delayed signal that is shifted one octave up to create a flanging effect a bit different but still similar to the BF-2. The effect is brighter and cleaner than the BF-2. The HF-2 may not be as powerful as the BF-2, but for hi frequency flanging it produces a very good result."

The result is that you can get a more subtle flange effect that works really well in the mix (of course, you can also get pretty crazy with it at extreme settings).

As far as the CE-2 - the power isn't really a big deal. If you run a power supply that provides 12 volts (like the Vooddoo), you'r efine. You can alos just daisy chain it with another Boss pedal and it will take care of the weird power (explanation here: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/726)

Trending Topics