Need more amp!! Advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slegros, Aug 31, 2008.

1. slegros

slegros Member

Im playing now with a group that plays HEAVY. Loving it but I find my trusty 2x6L6 1x12 Ampeg Superjet just doesn't have the 'Balls' I need. Im dimed on guitar and amp and still wanting more. Pedals are useless because I have no headroom but it sounds great wide open, just not loud enough. Id like a louder amp with the option of still using it in a small club setting. A few options Im considering:

-Throwing a really freakin loud speaker in the Ampeg (V30?) I like the sound and easily portable size of the 1x12

Buying a new amp. I want to stay at most with a 2x12 combo. I like the 1 box and portability, I dont want to go head-cab. Right now I have good deals on a few great used amps:

-Ac30 BM I like the 1/2 power switch on this and the simple single volume control.

-Marshall Bluesbreaker.

-Fender Supersonic, maybe a lateral move volume wise on the Ampeg, but Ive heard they are really loud, and I like the features

Ive had a 4xEL84 2x12 before (Bedrock BC-50, awesome amp Im kicking myself for selling!!) but without playing them side by side in the same setting I have no reference as to how much louder my previous amp(if any) was over the Jet.

-Maybe a Fender Twin?

Any opinions on the above amps? Any other advice? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

If you want loud and heavy, a quad is going to give it to you quicker than anything.

A Mesa Recto/Road King/Roadster combo would do the trick probably though

3. slegros

slegros Member

Thanks for the advice but please re-read my original post. I don't want anything bigger than a 2x12 combo and was interested on opinions of the 3 amps I mentioned as I can get any of those 3 currently used for a good price. I'll definitely have a look at the Mesa combos though!

4. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

^^
    Ya said ya wanted HEAVY !!
    I know you said you wanted a 212 combo, but that is just very limiting in view of wanting HEAVY. Mostly they will be open backed, which is not ideal for HEAVY.
    But hey, ya wanna play metal on a Twin, don't confront me none. The drive channel on a Mesa LSC gets pretty heavy, in a gritty, grindy way, and that amp weighs a ton, should be perfect.

5. doc

doc Member

Apparently you like the sound of your current amp but just want more headroom. I'm not sure what the specs are on your current speaker, but you might get some improvement with going to something more sensitive - I'd recommend a Wizard over a V30. Whar I'd really consider is checking to see if you have an extension speaker output and just buy a new small 1 X 12 extension speaker with a very efficient speaker and add that. Most of the amps you mentioned aren't going to be a great deal louder than the Superjet. The Twin will, but as the other poster alluded to its not known for "heavy" sounds.

6. gibson08

gibson08 Member

You should play the new Mesa Express 5:50, 6L6 powered, 1x12 combo, best clean channel ever(lonestar cleans), great crunch channel and a great modern gain channel they call burn, awesome amp!! If you want to save a few bucks find a used Mesa DC-5 combo, also 6L6, 1x12, OK clean channel, gain channel is awesome, it has a graphic eq that you can take in or out which will let you play classic rock to metal-lica.

7. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

+1 on the closed back 1x12 extension cabinet.