1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need more clarity in bottom end... HELP

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by nemp, Feb 8, 2006.

1. nemp

nemp Member

I picked up a beat up old Laney Pro Tube 50 combo for guitar. It has a nice tone and plenty of drive and pwr. It lacks in the low end and definition, no matter what PUs, or guitar I use. I play hard to heavy with runs and sweep picking. It has a generic eminence in there with 2 jj el 34s and 3 fender 12ax7s that i think are new. Any speaker suggestions? Weber, Celestian, Reverend maybe.

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

Besides speakers, if it's a fixed bias amp (I don't know myself) then you may want to check the bias on the amp now. You may be pleasantly surprised how a good bais will improve, sometimes dramtically, the string and note definition. You may or may not realize more bottom end because that could be the cirsuit but you may also find that bottom end, and especially clarity of chords and such my be improved.

If it's cathode biased, maybe the cathode resisitor has drifted too far out of spec.

3. Swarty

Swarty Member

I'd try plugging into an extension cab to see if it is indeed the speakers that are the culprit.

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't jump to a speaker change before ensuring the power tubes are still good, and that they're properly biased. If they're not, then a speaker change will be a waste of time.

- T

5. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

A lot can happen in 5 minutes! ....+1 on what Reek and Swarty said.