Need more clean volume - suggestions?

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Lately I’m finding I need a louder clean sound from my amp. I can only get so much clean volume before the amp starts to break up.

I am playing a Fillmore 25 most of the time now and while I really like it - Our drummer is freakin’ loud and depending on venue and overall band volume - I can’t always squeeze enough clean volume out of it.

So, I was thinking of getting another amp for times when a bit more is needed to stay clean while turning up.

Stuff I’ve considered include the Tonemaster Twin, Quilter 202, Carr Rambler, Mesa California Tweed, and Fender HRD - or possibly moving to the Fillmore 50.

I don’t really know if the Rambler would be loud enough.

One other thing I am considering is my FM3 into a power amp/cab.

I really don’t want to drag around a super heavy amp anymore which is why the Carr and Tonemaster are in the mix.

Open to other ideas. I greatly prefer tube amps but maybe that’s not the best option for me these days.

What do y’all think - other amps I should consider?

JohnCarter

Not a clue. Except... Volume isn't just watts. It's where you sit in the mix, which seems to be your problem. Put more emphasis into the 2KHz-5KHz range?
I'm thinking more in terms of changing the speaker than the amp. Celestion Greenback or V30?

Amish Mafia

25 watts and bf clean at high volumes never works. You need at least 50 watts and preferably a twin style power in order to stay clean at any volume. You could get a Marshall clean with your amp, you need the bass removed almost completely, and the guitar set down to about 7.

Big bass with low volume amps cannot happen at high volumes, it takes more electrical energy to produce bass notes than treble. When you see your speaker moving it's because of low notes not treble.

NatGardner

It's going to be tough but talk to your drummer. Make sure the rest of the band is behind you also. Don't make it seem like he is being ganged up on. Explain that he that he plays too loud. He sounds inexperienced as far as playing in a gigging band. The rest of the band, your hearing, every soundman you encounter, every club owner and every person in the first 30 feet of your band will thank you plus you won't lose future gigs for being too loud.

Rick CD

Silver Supporting Member
Ya see - this is something that didn’t even cross my mind.
I came here to say the same about the power station. I achieve this with my AC15 and PS2. It’s a nice solution For an amp with not enough headroom.

edit: caveat is we mic everyone though. I’m not sure if surpassing a loud drummer would work without that

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
If you like your amp, why not get a Fillmore 50?
I might - the 25 is great for smaller venues, takes up very little space too. The 50W Fillmore has a 50/25 switch - different power tubes tho' - I probably should have just gotten this one to begin with.

I also just noticed Fender had the 68 Pro Reverb now (or maybe I just discovered it LOL) - that seems like a pretty good fit. Sounds nice on some of the videos.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I came here to say the same about the power station. I achieve this with my AC15 and PS2. It’s a nice solution For an amp with not enough headroom.
Honestly, it's making me think I can also leverage my Swart STR Trem sometimes too - it has fantastic tone but wouldn't be gig worthy on it's own.

Ejay

Add a 2nd amp (or poweramp) and slave it using the send of your main amp…or one side of whatever stereo efx u use.

I own a 15 and a 25 combo…gives me options when I only bring 1 amp…I bring them both if I need volume.
Idd rather move 2 smaller ones from the car then 1 big ass amp. Ss is an alternative offcourse…but to my ears the price you pay is too high.

Stereo is great btw.
I feed them with preamp and a modeler on my board…best of both worlds…with modeling/full analog interchangeable with a foot clock.

jchan

I might - the 25 is great for smaller venues, takes up very little space too. The 50W Fillmore has a 50/25 switch - different power tubes tho' - I probably should have just gotten this one to begin with.

I also just noticed Fender had the 68 Pro Reverb now (or maybe I just discovered it LOL) - that seems like a pretty good fit. Sounds nice on some of the videos.
I recently saw a live band with 2 guitar players and one was using a Fillmore 50 combo with the Black Shadow speaker and a Les Paul. Great tones, clean and dirty that stood our wonderfully in the mix.

AintNoEddie

Lately I’m finding I need a louder clean sound from my amp. I can only get so much clean volume before the amp starts to break up.

I am playing a Fillmore 25 most of the time now and while I really like it - Our drummer is freakin’ loud and depending on venue and overall band volume - I can’t always squeeze enough clean volume out of it.

So, I was thinking of getting another amp for times when a bit more is needed to stay clean while turning up.

Stuff I’ve considered include the Tonemaster Twin, Quilter 202, Carr Rambler, Mesa California Tweed, and Fender HRD - or possibly moving to the Fillmore 50.

I don’t really know if the Rambler would be loud enough.

One other thing I am considering is my FM3 into a power amp/cab.

I really don’t want to drag around a super heavy amp anymore which is why the Carr and Tonemaster are in the mix.

Open to other ideas. I greatly prefer tube amps but maybe that’s not the best option for me these days.

What do y’all think - other amps I should consider?
Unless you really fancy a new / 2nd amp, get a more efficient speaker (either swap or get an extension cab).

Black Shadow MC90 is 99 dB, if you get a 102-103 dB one you should more or less get the output of a 50W amp (double the wattage = +3dB). Eminence has some (Wizard, Swamp Thang). JBL E120, but it is heavy...

jim lavender

I just gigged for the first time with my Quilter Aviator Cub and it performed admirably . A ton of clean headroom IMHO

Trending Topics

Top Bottom